1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Sunderland PGCE overseas for B.C. Canada Teacher Reg?

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by Alicemou, Jun 30, 2017.

  1. Alicemou

    Alicemou New commenter

    Hi everyone,

    I plan on moving to B.C. Canada and I am currently looking into getting my PGCE overseas certificate (University of Sunderland, 2016) recognized by the B.C. Ministry of Education to obtain my teacher's certification. On the page for international graduates it is said that programs completed entirely by distance education do NOT qualify for certification.


    I wrote them asking for clarification but they will not give me a definite answer until I complete the whole application process, which is lengthy, difficult, expensive, and would need detailed reference from my VP.

    So I am writing to ask whether anyone else has found themselves in similar situation and what the outcome was for them.

    Any information much appreciated!

    (Here is the information on the BC Teacher Regulation website):

    Teacher education studies
    You must have completed a teacher education program consisting of at least 48 credits of education courses and classroom teaching experience. This is equivalent to approximately 1.5 to 2 years of full-time study. This could include a degree or diploma in education, or teacher training courses that you completed within an academic degree.

    The program must include studies in the areas of:

    • human development and learning
    • educational foundations (history, philosophy, sociology)
    • curriculum and instruction
    • diagnosing and providing for students with special needs and
    • evaluation and testing.

    The teacher education program must qualify you to teach in the elementary and/or secondary public school system in the jurisdiction where you completed your program. Whenever possible, you must also have registered with the education authority in the jurisdiction where you completed your program, even if you have never taught in that jurisdiction.

    Teacher education programs are often very different from one jurisdiction to another. Graduates of the following types of programs will not qualify for certification in BC:

    • programs that are less than 30 credits
    • programs completed entirely by distance education
    • programs that do not qualify their graduates to teach in the public school system
    • programs that are not awarded university credit
    • programs that include teaching experience only.
  2. sabrinakat

    sabrinakat Star commenter

    You might want to post this in Overseas Teaching as this forum is for Overseas Trained Teachers who want to teach in the UK :)
  3. Kartoshka

    Kartoshka Established commenter

    Did your PGCE require you to spend time in a classroom? Were you awarded QTS at the end?
  4. Flere-Imsaho

    Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

    I'm not sure what it is you want clarified. If it was a distance learning course you completed you will not be able to teach in Canada without gaining further qualifications.

Share This Page