1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

sunday roast anyone?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by -LittleMiss-, Nov 10, 2018.

1. -LittleMiss-

-LittleMiss- New commenter

Hi

Just wondering if you keep up with the sunday roasts, with next day being school day...
    I love sundays roasts, but dont have them every week....
    I have fussy kids, so we take it in turn if its chicken this week, lamb for next time.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Wrong place for this sort of problem.

3. Mermaid7

Mermaid7 Occasional commenter

Best to post this on Cookery.

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Are you roasting the Sunday joint, or smoking it?

Numbergame, pepper5 and sabrinakat like this.
  5. Lara mfl 05

Careful Jolly_Roger, you'll frighten off a newbie. ;)
    They may not quite 'get' our sense of humour on here.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. -LittleMiss-

sorry i didnt realise i posted this under the wrong heading...

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We only have them if we go out to lunch on a Sunday...so probably about twice a year.
    Mothering Sunday and OH's mother's birthday.

Not really to do with work though, it would probably be the same if I wasn't a teacher.
    More that the huge amount of effort isn't reflected in the reward.

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. -LittleMiss-

erm..roasting...

9. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Perhaps it is a workplace dilemma in that most teachers don't have time to do a Sunday roast and all its trimmings due to marking, cleaning the house and catching up on life - on Sundays ;)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. Lara mfl 05

Good save sabrinakat! ;) :D

Plus with the price of joints these days most teachers can't afford a weekly joint. ;)

pepper5 and sabrinakat like this.
  11. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

Just about every Sunday, it is not a lot of work. I have had to put more effort into cooking 4 frozen ready curries than a roast. The Keith Floyd approach to cooking makes it fun.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Getting totally rata***d and adding the wrong ingredients you mean ?

13. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Nearly every Sunday but I keep it as easy as possible with frozen desserts etc. Many, many times I’ve rushed through it to get onto school work so it is an issue for teachers and workload. However, we have to eat.

One of the joys of semiretirement is that I can relax and take my time over whatever I want to do on a Sunday without any school pressures looming. Anything that is there can wait till Monday.

pepper5, sabrinakat and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

At the moment with all the s*** I've got going on at work, I'd be so happy if what I had for dinner was my only dilemma.

Fluffy_Koala, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We eat at about 6.00 so I could easily do a joint and still have time for a busy day. I often cook fish on a Sunday during the summer but now it's getting wintry we're on to a beef casserole which does us for Sunday and Monday. That'll be us now till Spring - more or less.
    Just spotted you posted this on Workplace Dilemmas. :p:p:p.That makes a pleasant change.

Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  16. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Sometimes. The joy (well, one of many joys) of single living is if I want a roast I can cook a little one, or a venison burger, or stir fry. Sunday has no real importance to me as a "special day", so meals are generally similar to the rest of the week.

17. -LittleMiss-

there are a lot of short cuts to cooking it though..like u
    lol..i keep getting told off about that...'oh look what the newbie has done'

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

We have a joint every Sunday, Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, veg and gravy. It wouldn't be Sunday without it.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It's probably about one in 3 weeks for us now and we have our main meal on Sunday about 6 pm.

We had a really nice piece of lamb last weekend that we found on offer at one of the supermarkets but this weekend we are having a stir-fry this evening.

We have to be very organized with our meals because of the lack of time we often have in the early evening to cook.

Lara mfl 05 and sabrinakat like this.
  20. lrw22

lrw22 Senior commenter

We go round to my mum's most weeks for a Sunday roast. I am not a bad cook but, to be honest, wouldn't have clue where to start with Sunday dinner!!