1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sunday Mail - CfE Article

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by GuessWho, Feb 12, 2012.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

2. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Very good article. Thanks.

4. All true. Too bad no-one is listening.

5. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

CfE also gets a roasting in the Sunday Post of all places. CfE is portrayed as a potential train-wreck in the making. The train driver however seems to be deaf to any criticism and blind to the buffers up ahead.

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

So frustating and draining.

7. As mentioned before, if CofE is not to work then it is the teachers who are letting the pupils down. Learning and teaching of the pupils remains the same- it is only recording and assessment which changes!!

8. So. Not actually a teacher then! Waken up.

9. Is this meant to be controversial or do you really not have any clue about CfE or anything to do with teaching in fact? One of the mumsnet lot?

10. Can see you have no clue about the huge changes planned. Nothing to do with only recording and assessment - suggest you begin reading about what the rest of us already realises.

11. You haven't read your shiny folder...

12. It would be appreciated if you would explain how qualified you are to make such a sweeping - and blatantly inaccurate - statement. I am a teacher, with 25+ years experience and generally considered by my peers and pupils to be a 'good' teacher. I consider myself to be articulate and intelligent, yet I know am struggling to cope with CofE. I am totally in agreement with the comment 'train wreck' posted elsewhere.

13. Indeed it is a colossal train wreck. There is no substance. I have 30 years worth of experience and I have seen many reforms but this one surpasses them all and I can't even describe it to those outwith teaching because it's all so meaningless and amorphous. Assessment is for Learning is an aspect I approve of but....the shiny green folders should be binned and give us a curriculum and properly standardised assessments. A generation of children will be failed by the education system and in ten years we'll be back at the drawing board. Pity we can't just miss out the inevitable failure of the next few years before our masters listen. But they don't do that...do they- Mr Russell?

14. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

And in today's Sunday Post, we find that of 24 directors of education asked about CfE 12 gave an identical answer. What a wonderful example to set the pupils, just regurgitating whatever you're told by a political numbskull.

15. gnulinux

That's the 'Stalinist state mentality' for you. No thought required. Just blind compliance.
    I wonder how these would shape up v the 4 capacities???
    Confident individuals? No - sheeplike.
    Responsible citizens? No - this is our education system they are dealing with - our children's future. They can't afford to foul it up, but they are going to anyway and then blame it all on the teachers.
    Effective contributors? Nope.
    Successful learners? Have learned not to think for themselves.

16. Renniesr, you clearly don't understand anything about the mess that is CfE.

17. gnulinux

Anyone read the Sunday Post yesterday "Cupcakes for English homework - the new curriculum in action"?
    It is worth a read because it reveals what we (teachers) have known for years, that the 'Leadership Class in Scottish Education' is egotistical, arrogant, and ignorant. Having silenced much (but not all) of the opposition to CfE from within the ranks of the teaching profession, that lot are clearly prepared to have a go at the Press.

The Sunday Post has run a series of articles on CfE, which have evidently rattled MR & co. So, what did MR and his fellow travellers do but invite a reporter from the SP into a school to 'teach them a lesson' about CfE - by teach them a 'lesson' I mean a 'Stalinist State' style lesson. That 'lesson' has clearly failed with MR behaving at one point during the visit like the 'class clown'. Surely it is worrying that an SNP Government minister is prepared to adopt tactics like those found in 'Communist North Korea'.

18. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Very well put.

19. I'm glad that the public are finally getting to hear about this. I'm fed up being painted as a troublemaker at school because I ask awkward questions and don't just follow along like a sheep!