1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Summer work

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Jenerena, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Sorry to bump but still need some advice!

2. I think you have left it too late to find something for the summer if I'm honest but it might depend what area you live in. Where I live has a number of language schools for example, but not one of them has advertised this year like they did last year. Playschemes recruit earlier in the year, normally in the 6 weeks after Easter. Cubs and Scouts is a good idea, but again, they stop for the summer holidays, so maybe you could look for a job in one of their activity centres, but like the others they do recruit earlier in the year. Google summer work/jobs for students and go through and see what takes your fancy. You can't afford to be picky at this late stage if you really want to secure something for the summer.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

At this stage, it may just be a case of <u>any job </u>which provides some pennies to tide you over, especially if you're reliant on public transport.
    Working with children would be a plus, but if stacking shelves is all that's available locally you may just have to consider that. Then maybe with some income you could look at doing some volunteer work with children. Bear in mind you'll need a CRB check though!

4. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

If you are prepared to work in a factory then there are plenty of agencies out there that will soon find you work and accept it is on a temporary basis.
    If you have never worked in this sort of environment before you may find it an absolute culture shock and an education in the 'University of Life' but at least you don't need to plan a lesson or mark anything!!!!!
    I did this several times in my student days during University holidays to provide an income.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You could try - although it's a long shot - to see if there are any vacancies in your Local Authority summer holiday playschemes.
    Best wishes

6. If you are near a big city/town look up language summer schools. They are always desperate for extra hands on deck - people often pull out last minute - and you can usually get a position as a teacher or group leader. I had four friends last summer (who had just finished their PGCEs) who walked into EAL summer schools and started working the next day, all as teachers. I simply got more money as a qualified EAL teacher, but trust me, you should be able to find something.

tefl.com is a good site to start looking up what is in your area.
    If you are prepared to move and live on the same site as the learners (summer schools often take over university accomodation and house the group leaders/teachers on site as part of the pay package) that broadens your options. Any large university town will probably have this going on - in fact, during my PGCE, the campus we were living on was taken over by a language school in the last two weeks before we left!

7. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I got work waitressing last summer, unbelievably easily! Through an agency, working at a racecourse. Mind numbingly boring, on your feet all day, all for a measly £6 per hour (though some days I got an extra £20 in tips which the tax man didn't know about) but it paid more than jsa. It was also very easy, though that was the particular nature of where it was as some waitressing is bloody hard work. Another possible is mystery shopping - you can get £10 for popping in to a bank for example, or I once got £20 for enquiring about a Mobile phone, and £6 for phoning up telephone banking. All easy money and you can do it when it suits. None of these involve working with kids but as others have said, ou may have left it a bit late for that. Have you considered babysitting?

8. Hey,
    Try Embassy Summer Language Schools and all the other English Language schools, quite a few of the jobs are residential as well. July is good for the jobs, not sure about August but worth a try filling in the application forms provided on their websites.
    Good luck