1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Summer TEFL work with CELTA but no degree.

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Papaya, Jan 4, 2011.

1. My son is at uni and is thinking of studying for the CELTA and then trying to find work for the rest of the Summer. He's willing to travel anywhere in the world to work.
    What are his chances of finding work for a few months in the Summer with a CELTA qualification but without a degree? He's 19.
    Thanks very much.

2. My son is at uni and is thinking of studying for the CELTA and then trying to find work for the rest of the Summer. He's willing to travel anywhere in the world to work.
    What are his chances of finding work for a few months in the Summer with a CELTA qualification but without a degree? He's 19.
    Thanks very much.

3. Having some experience would be extremely useful in gaining employment overseas.

Has your Son considered volunteering with a charity that works in schools overseas? It's a great place to start and gives you the opportunity to look for job opportunities in person whilst your out there.

I can personally recommend VESL's volunteer programme in Thailand - http://www.vesl.org

Happy New Year.
    Ian.

4. There are the most EAL jobs in Asia. I'd focus on a big city like Beijing or Shanghai where there are many foreigners. To work as an EAL teacher in Asia you need to have a degree or a CELTA. He may have culture shock regarding any place he goes.

A safer way could be look for jobs through the British Council based in Europe. I know they advertised for CELTA teachers in France recently. Try there. [​IMG] (British Council)

5. Thank you both very much - very useful information.