1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Summer Strikes

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by hakkinen, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Oh well done to the NUT, I finally managed to get work until the summer with a school who really liked me (so unlike my last long term post who caused me no end of trouble) i did a bit of work for them and they liked me so much they literally tried to move another teacher on and replace them with me- it wasn't my subject and I felt uncomfortable doing it -even though it was smt decision to replace the teacher - with both aspects I declined it (they apologised as they had fouled up a proposed triple!!! observation of me without explaining what they were looking for...however, I digress.....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    they then reorganised and offered me one job which i happily accepted -then at 11th hour gave me a different post - all a bit rushed but after an awful year where my finances are shot to pieces and all savings gone paying the bills I thought at least a few months work....
    well this easter and royal wedding financially will be a killer - it's bad, can't do anything about it....
    and then....and then...the NUT - yes the organisation that rolled over and accepted CS's to do cover-having no regard for supply teachers and their welfare now decide to vote to strike.....
    well i couldn't pay my DD this month anyway as my pay was delayed through error so membership cancelled by default and now I'm pleased...but even if i'm not in it...the agencies either won't send me in if I'm happy to work or the school will shut if not enough teachers.....
    of course we lose out either way.......thanks...i won't be renewing and can't wait to move awa and start my new business....

2. In defence of the NUT they did not sign up to the National Agreements that allowed the use of CSs etc so is that rolling over? But neither have they really opposed the use of support staff for teaching work.

3. yes, we are on the losing end again!! Is there any union which is better for supply teachers than another?

4. well as said they hardly went on strike to defend against cover supervisors did they...now today also, both they and the NASUWT are bleating about use of unqualified staff in teaching......
    well hate to say it but I told them so.......

This is the thin end of the wedge - they have accepted it even if did not sign up to it and now this will be the slippery slope for all teachers as I predicted, once government and management realise they can put unqualified people in and at rates far cheaper it will grow and eventually anyone can teach certificate or not - probably still require a degree but ultimately it will happen......

and I agree with your picket line stance and would do the same as you to be honest as not tied to Union
    - supply is looked down on by all factions of education and we have had no support,
    BUT.....

as I said it will be out of your hands....unless you have a long term LEA contract in which case you will be paid anyway, if on daily supply either the school will close due to lack of staff AND/OR your supply agency will not send you in as it contradicts their policies with unions and teaching.

5. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY New commenter

Well, i'm going to jump in here. I was at the NUT conference this year. I went last year and the NUT were bleating on about cover staff being used then. NASUWT are behind on that one. Was anything done about this by the NUT last year? Of course it wasn't. One supply got up to speak about how the union should be fighting more for the interests of supply teachers and you know what, Half the auditorium got up to go for their coffee break. To say I was disgusted is an understatement.

When it came to voting for balloting for strike action I didn't care. I have no pension, I cannot pay into the TPS so I thought sod the lot of them. I voted against for the heck of it!!!!

Supply teachers will not be sent a ballot paper for strike if they work for agencies. If you have a zero hours contract or are lucky enough to work for LA supply pool then you will so good luck to you. VOTE away

When I said "right then, i'm gonna cash in on that day and get some work!" I was advised that I was not allowed to cover for strikers. So who is gonna be used for that then??????? For example, if you have just one teacher going on strike in a large school are you telling me that a supply cannot be used?????

6. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY New commenter

LOZAR, may I ask you what you're trying to set up business wise? I wish I could do that.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

NASUWT have just canvassed members about support for strikes and the survey form is clearly not intended for Supply Teachers. I don't plan to cover for striking NASUWT members should it come to that, but I'm totally unimpressed by the union's efforts on behalf of supply staff.

8. I would be happy to say but..............................................................................................................................................................................................don't want to give too much away on here as some people I know in teaching I have told my plans to and I do like to be discreet with my identity in case it's read by anyone who knows me. Not that i have on this thread but may have been critical of schools and agencies elsewhere so don't want any flak from posting negatives on TES for example which may cost me work for the moment................................................................................................................................................................................

I'm happy to chat via loztech@hotmail.co.uk if you want to but it's not a small enterprise I could suggest or help you to try starting unfortunately, it's a leap of faith starting anything up in business but I'm basically going to be running a holiday business but it requires a large amount of capital to set up. I have a fairly successful family I'm doing it with so am very very lucky and I will end up in a very nice place.

After today being moaned at for not wearing a tie (not worn one for years) and not at this place at all since I started a few months ago I realiy really cannot wait to finish - it really isn't for me this game at all, i've had a very bad day all round and cannot wait to permanently live in shorts,flip-flops and t-shirts....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I really just say to you that if you can get out of this, it's risky but worth it if it works out ----------------------------------------find something you like doing or are at least interested in and if you can take a chance and go for it - i've had a business before and running it yourself is even with the stresses is far better than dealing with public sector managers

9. Good on you for going to the conference and unfortunately I'm not surprised I'm afraid at their actions, it's pretty damning isn't it , did the supply get any response? no-one stood up for us at all I'm afraid ...............................................................................................................................................................................................- most day to day teachers are OK and friendly while quite a few look down on us - one school i was at for 3 weeks and only 2 people in the staff room ever spoke to me - i gave up and took breaks in my classroom in the end.

Unfortunately, no agency will send you in and if enough of them strike then unfortunately as happened before the heads simply shut the school for the day under health and safety - so we lose whatever happens