1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Summer schools

Discussion in 'Education news' started by peter12171, Jun 1, 2020.

1. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Better start recruiting teachers for them now - I can't see many serving teachers who have been working either at home teaching on line and/or going into schools for those still there volunteering. I wouldn't.

3. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

Huge front page spread on the Telegraph too. It seems to be something the media are baying for.

Happyregardless and nomad like this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

When a similar idea was floated by Ex Ofsted head last week the DfE dismissed it and are quoted as saying

A DfE spokesman said "The Education Secretary has said that we are not planning to run schools through the summer."
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-52790151

That doesn't mean that the school premises couldn't be used by other groups for (voluntary) 'summer schools' aka childcare. But DfE seem to have ruled out schools and teachers being required to work during the summer holidays.

Unless they change their mind....

Pomza, strawbs and agathamorse like this.
  5. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

About 20 years ago, my school ran a summer school for Year 6 students who needed 'catch up'. Teachers could get extra pay if they chose to do it. I did, because it suited me at that time. It was excellent-lots of staff so marking got done during the day, a decent budget for trips, several TAs...I just wouldn't want to see teachers pressured into doing this.

Happyregardless likes this.
  6. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

If they do decide on this I foresee many negative headlines (and threads on here) about the nasty left wing unions telling the government that teachers will need to be paid and possibly at time and half if not double bubble.

If course we would never get it as "think of the children" trump's absolutely everything.

Jolly_Roger15 and agathamorse like this.
  7. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Private and council summer schools run every summer. No reason why that won't carry on this summer too. Nothing to do with schools

-Maximilian- and Rott Weiler like this.
  8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I would not be surprised if agencies get in on this, as some have already been advertising for retired teachers to 'volunteer' their services 'for the good of the children'. Do you not just love another 'opportunity to put something back'? :mad:

9. ridleyrumpus

I would relist the opportunity to take something out.

Marisha, agathamorse and Morninglover like this.
  10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

11. ridleyrumpus

Relish even , not relist...

bonxie, PeterQuint and agathamorse like this.
  12. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

David Blunkett in The Times today reminded us of the summer schools set up in 1997 when he was Education Secretary

13. crumbleskates

crumbleskates New commenter

As long as they don’t use Primary school buildings, of those that have been open since lockdown, as this will mean more work for Heads, admin and site staff setting up and bring on call for problems; perhaps some of the schools that have not been open could be used, or universities? Teacher training institutions? Good holiday job for students.