1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Summer Pay

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jaclib, Apr 23, 2019.

1. jaclib

jaclib New commenter

Hi,
    If a teacher is on a temporary contract to the end of this academic year at a school and they are then starting a maternity leave cover in September for the same school, should they be paid over summer?

TIA

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It depends on the original contract, and the new one should make no difference unless the school starts it early. (Unlikely!) If it is a Burgundy Book academic year, it finishes on 31 August. If not, I would have thought the contract should specify the date. If you are employed under Burgundy Book conditions, it is worth reading the relevant section. Terms for that purpose finish at the end of April, August and December, regardless of school term dates.

JohnJCazorla and jaclib like this.
  3. jaclib

jaclib New commenter

Thanks for your reply. The teacher in question is currently on supply and has been since January. The school want to move them on to a temp/perm contract in the middle of May and have encouraged them to apply for a maternity leave starting in September. I don't see the benefit of moving onto the temp/perm contract if they won't be paid over summer really.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The new contract is not really relevant here, the question is what the current contract says about when it terminates. If it says 31st August you will get paid for the summer holidays. If it has an earlier date, eg end of summer term, you will not.

As Pirhana says, if your school uses national Conditions of Service (the 'Burgundy Book'), and if your temporary contract is for more than one term, then your contract is supposed to run until 31st August. If not you will have to read your contract and see what it says.

EDIT. I've just seen your last post. Do you mean supply through an agency from January to now? If the school wants to move them to a direct contract with the school in May then they need to negotiate it to make sure they will get paid over the summer. If school is encouraging them to apply for M?L contract it suggests school would like to keep them so they should be in good position, if the get the M/L contract, to negotiate summer holiday pay.

5. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

No. Your maternity cover job starts in September.

6. jaclib

jaclib New commenter

Thanks for your reply, that is what I meant. I will get them to get their negotiating head on!!! :)

Piranha and Happygopolitely like this.
  7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

So they haven't actually got the September post yet then?

So they are currently on long term supply.
    They might start a temporary or permanent post in the middle of May.
    They might start a maternity post in September.

If they take a permanent post from the middle of May, they will be paid over the summer, but won't be covering maternity from September.
    I'd say they need to sort out what job they actually have before fussing about summer pay.

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

In the end, it depends on what can be negotiated. Assuming they actually get the maternity cover job, which might not happen if another candidate impresses more, then they can ask to remain on the payroll throughout the summer. The school might agree, especially if they can't get anybody else as good, but doesn't have to. They may not want to pay extra, or have somebody building up continuous service.

Yes, I was also puzzled by the temp/perm bit. If it is a maternity cover, it can't be permanent. Can it?

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

No. And you'd not offer someone a permanent post from May, while asking them to apply for a maternity cover from September.

Makes no sense.

Piranha likes this.
  10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I thought that. I was hoping we might get some clarification. Although I doubt if there is anything more to say in terms of advice.