1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Summer pay entitlement

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by rcd33, Apr 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rcd33

rcd33 New commenter

Hi all,

I resigned from my post as classroom teacher effective from end of this term (1st June 2018)- I originally had planned for earlier but they asked me to stay until exam classes had finished. They ideally wanted me to stay as long as I could.

My personal circumstances that caused me to resign have changed and I have recently informed the school that I can stay on until the end of the school year, which they are very happy about.

However, HR have told me that I might only get paid until 31st July, not 31st August, as upon my resignation they altered the budget and now might not be able to afford to pay me this one month's extra pay.

Can they legally do this? I have been at the school for over four years and feel as though it's quite unfair to cut me short of one month's pay after so much hard work I have put in over the years.

Please could someone let me know.

Thanks,
    Rcd

2. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

You should get some pay when you leave for the holiday you have accrued but not taken.
    I once worked from March until July 2nd and was paid a sum for this

I was under burgundy book however

What type of contract are you on?

3. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Not sure, you resigned, they could argue that the remaining part of your contract is effectively supply.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I think they have a point: they agreed to release you from contract at an unusual point, and they are not obliged to let you rescind the resignation. You were obviously okay to do without the summer pay before your circumstances changed.
    I think the extra time you're now agreeing to do is probably subject to negotiation - you can always say that you're only prepared to do it if you're paid for August, but they might then say that in that case they'll manage without you. After all, once exam groups are gone, they can probably cover the timetable without you. I think taking you back for that half-term is doing you more of a favour than it is helping them.