1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Summer pay, but don't start until Sept?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by biltonhr, Jun 21, 2017.

1. biltonhr

biltonhr New commenter

Hi everyone,

I may be starting a new job in September and I am currently doing some Supply Work at the school in question through a Supply Agency. My agency have mentioned that it MAY be possible for me to get paid over the summer period in order for the school to secure me for the role. I have been told that the school will have to pay the agency for 12 weeks while I go from a temp to perm contract with the school. The agency have said that in very rare occasions if a school is very keen to secure a teacher for a role they could pay the teacher over the summer before starting their role.

My question is - have you heard of any teachers who have managed to secure a summer pay without officially starting teaching at the school until the Sept?

Many thanks. I look forward to hearing back from you.

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Perhaps I'm just cynical but it sounds like a ploy to get you to accept peanuts for working until the start of the summer holidays.

Even if it is as said then it would be simpler for the school to employ you from next monday on a permanent contract and then you would definitely be paid over the summer.

You can disregard the 12 weeks option, though it exists in law, the practise is to dump the teacher at the 12 week mark rather than pay the higher rate. Alternatively you should negotiate for the higher rate now.

You have one distinct advantage. YOU ARE ALREADY AT THE SCHOOL. Go round and meet the decision makers immediately (head of dept, HR, a member of SLT) and see what they think. The agency can negotiate its cut and do the paperwork after the decision is made.

3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

sorry just read that properly.
    It's nothing legal, just the agency's means of getting their cut. Could just as easily be a finder's fee and you start permanent asap.

4. biltonhr

biltonhr New commenter

That's great advice, thank you.

The only issue is, I am currently doing general day-to-day supply at the school, which isn't everyday. I am not working within the department that I have applied for (Art & dt), instead I am doing general cover through the agency
    I am unsure whether the school would start my contract before the summer because there is already have a member of staff in place, working in the Art & dt depts. I will be taking over from them in Sept.

I will take your advice and get in contact with SLT and with HoD to discuss the possibility of paying the agency a "finders fee" now so that I could work directly with the school doing good cover from now until summer, get paid over the summer period, then start fresh in Sept.
    Many thanks again

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It seems most unlikely to me. Day to day supply is not the same as a temporary contract, so you are not entitled to be paid by the school for the summer. Under Burgundy Book, and probably most other teacher contracts, you start work at the beginning of term - 1 September. In these days of tight funds, I see no reason why a school would want to pay you more than they would have given to somebody else starting in September. A consolation is that if you later on leave at the end of the summer term, then you should get paid for the summer at that point. If you want a more expert opinion, then speak to your union.

I am under the impression that they have already secured you!