1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Summer Nursery Work

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by BertieBassett2, Jul 15, 2019.

1. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

My agency have emailed me with the suggestion of Summer holiday work in nurseries. Has anyone done this and what could I expect? (Recent days in a nursery class have helped me get over my fear of very small children....)

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I havent done it, but if you have experience perhaps you coukd do one day and see how you like it. Is there usually a helper with you?

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  3. BertieBassett2

Pepper, there seem to be plenty of adults in Nursery settings. I'm inclined to agree with you about giving it a go. Thanks for the advice.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Yes, one day isn't going to be the end of the world if you find out it isn't for you. I would hope there would be an assistant with you.

On Sunday there was the cutest 17 month old toddler at church; he was walking around with a tambourine during the worship service.

5. copycat

copycat Senior commenter

Bertie, I haven't worked in nursery during the holidays but I have during term time. I love working with nursery age children but it is physically hard work, a lot of bending down to their level and as a TA there was an awful lot of cleaning and tidying.
    Great fun though.
    Would it be a private nursery?
    I would be tempted to give it a go as you don't have to stay if it is not for you.

BertieBassett2 and pepper5 like this.
  6. BertieBassett2

I really don't know, but maybe it is if it's running during the holidays?

7. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

This might sound stupid but one thing you might want to check out is whether you would be expected to change nappies, similar 'personal care' etc. I haven't worked at a nursery during the holidays but I occasionally have picked up the odd day here and there during term time and although I have never been asked to do that, permanent staff do, especially when there are two year olds...

8. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

BertieB, it depends on what capacity they would be employing you in surely?
    I have done plenty of work in Nurseries attached to a school and been employed as a teacher so no personal care there.
    My guess is that the hours would be much longer, possibly 8 am until 6 pm, you need to check all of this.
    Also if the agency confirms no personal care I would still be cautious as agencies say one thing, but when you are doing the job it still may be expected of you.

9. BertieBassett2

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Somehow, I don't expect to be offered anything, but it was only a matter of replying to an email, so thought 'Why not?'
    Watch this space...

agathamorse likes this.