1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Summer jobs for supply teachers?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by alana_cook, Feb 18, 2020.

1. alana_cook

alana_cook New commenter

Hi fellow supply teachers,
    I started working as a supply fully time from January and I’m enjoying the freedom it’s giving me so far! I’ve taught in a range of schools and year groups and feel like I’m finding my passion for teaching again!
    With the two week Easter holiday approaching, the six week summer holiday has also come into my mind. I wondered what you guys do - if anything - over the summer to get a bit of extra money in?
    I was thinking of maybe working in a holiday club but the one I did look in to told me I was overqualified as a teacher to work there!
    Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences!

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Can your agency find you work?

alana_cook likes this.
  3. thewritingsupply

thewritingsupply Occasional commenter

I do exam marking, including reviews for various exam boards. This includes two international boards who hold exams four times a year.

Last summer I didn’t get my ‘summer’ break until September. I took the month off (very little supply work during this month as it goes) and needed a break by then.

Though I would say, as exam marking is done at home, it isn’t quite so bad doing it all through summer as opposed to other jobs.

agathamorse and alana_cook like this.
  4. alana_cook

alana_cook New commenter

One agency has said they don’t deal with holiday clubs and they might be able to get an odd day in a nursery. I’d like something with a bit more frequently if possible though!

5. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

You might shop work or temp work outside education, for exam I did adhoc warehouse work (4 hours per evening), pay was not great, around £38 for the 4 hours, but it was better then now't.

agathamorse likes this.