1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Summer holidays

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Boardingmaster, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster Occasional commenter

Front page of tomorrow’s telegraph: A level exams to be delayed by 3 weeks to mid july.

given many of us break up towards the start of July are we headed for an extra few weeks of unpaid work? Really makes the lack of pay rise this year sit well..

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Wow!
    Goodness!
    No idea, but glad I'm now in prep not senior.

Are schools going to charge an extra fortnight of fees to cover the longer term?

3. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

I am assuming that study leave will begin a couple of weeks before - ie, at the very, very end of term - so no taught lessons...for day schools at least.

4. lizzy1981

lizzy1981 New commenter

Yes, I’m concerned about this too. Would be happy to do some extra revision sessions on a voluntary basis, but it’s not clear if the exams will be finished by mid-July, or begin then? I’ve already had a temporary pay cut, despite working throughout the entirety of lockdown, as well as earning significantly less than my state-school counterparts generally. I have felt up until now that the pay-off of longer holidays was worth the lower salary, so I’m hoping that we don’t lose the summer holiday too.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

In your summer holiday???? WOW! You are nicer than me.

jarndyce likes this.
  6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

My understanding is that the proposal is to run A-levels three weeks later than normal, so instead of ending around the 25th June, they would finish around 16th July. I imagine that independent day schools would need to stay open for typically an extra 10 days, for Year 13 only (and Year 11 if the same happens with GCSE), but with only a skeleton staff as no teaching would be involved.

It's a bit more difficult for boarding schools that typically finish around the end of June / start of July, as boarding and domestic staff would need to be kept on for an extra two weeks or so, but again only for Years 11 and 13.

7. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

It is a bit concerning for boarding schools which rely on summer income (through language schools etc) especially given the losses in 2020. My last place would have the (residential) language schools moving in within 2 or 3 days of the academic year ending.

8. florian gassmann

It's a good point, but only limited boarding accommodation would be needed for Year 13 (and possibly Year 11) beyond the normal last day of term.

9. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

Yes, though if we are still using bubbles that would be complicated as could be dining facilities etc. Also exams often require sports halls which tend to be used by summer schools. I’m sure it would be doable, but it might not be straightforward.

10. florian gassmann

It has just been confirmed that GCSEs and A-levels in 2021 will run three weeks later than normal. The summer exam series will end on 2nd July, which should not cause a problem for independent school summer holidays, which are unlikely to start before the 3rd of July.

andywhizz1 likes this.
  11. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster Occasional commenter

Yes we finish on the 3rd, phew!

So convenient that I almost wonder if that factored into their thinking..