1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Summer holidays and NQT start dates

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by yellowledbetter, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Of course it does. Even if your school starts on the 5th Sept, as some schools are, you'd be shooting yourself in the foot as an NQT if you decided to be away any time after the 1st Sept.
    Most schools open from the end of August and it would be wise to go in for a few days beforehand, sorting out your SOWs/displays/classroom/lesson plans/filing etc etc.
    I'm an NQT and I actually went into school from the Tuesday after the Bank Holiday onwards - it really helped me to get off to the best start in what is quite a daunting year!

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Don't you finish quite soon? If you're hoping to bag a cheap deal then I'd be going in july before the schools finish after the PGCE was over. Although if you don't have a post you may need to be around for interviews (if you're lucky enough to get some)
    There'll be plenty of holiday deals to be had theres no need to rush. If you don't get a post then a sept hol might be good to have something to look forward to xx

3. If your contract starts on 1st September you need to be available from 1st September. You may be needed in school for induction or setting up. If you have a pre-booked holiday you should notify the school and request permission.
    James

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

In a number of places you start in schools at the end of Summer term and get paid from August. Most other schools would run thre contracts from Sept 1st. Welcome to teaching and having to take holidays in school break time