1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Summer holiday pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by nicolahewish, Jan 2, 2012.

1. I have recently been offered and accepted the position of part time classroom teacher that begins on the first day of 2012 spring term and ends on the last day of 2012 summer term. The contract does not include payment for the summer holiday. Is this "legal"? That is, is the school obliged by law or otherwise to pay me up to the end of August?

2. If it's a term time post, then they are within their rights. If you've already signed the contract, then you've accepted these terms I'm afraid.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Where a fixed term contract specifies an end date in July (usually last pupil day) and only the half-term holiday week will be paid for, the temporary teacher is almost always better off on LA full supply Daily Rate.
    The LA supply rate is made up of 3 parts for the day worked and one part as pro-rata holiday pay.
    As long as you don't miss too many days (unpaid) through illness etc, Daily Rate will generate the equivalent of 20 or so paid 'holidays' in the Summer term ... not as much as the 35 days on a contract that pays until 31st August but better than just getting the 5 half term days.
    The Spring term will mean that you get about 15 paid days on holiday (possibly more if the Easter days don't fall in the 2 week break between terms). Daily rate would a generate slightly more, I think, assuming you work every possible day. It depends on the number of school days in the term.
    The Autumn term pays far more on Daily rate as it is a long term ... often 15 weeks (75 days) and thus paying for 25 days of holiday built into the daily rate as opposed to the 15 days or so paid for on a contract to 31 st Dec

4. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I would argue it.
    The Burgundy book says:

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If it's a maternity cover, the likelihood is that they will give notice for the cover teacher to finish before the end of the term. The permannent teacher might return for the last week, the last few days or on the first day of the summer break and in all cases they might manage without the temp teacher for a day or more in the last week of 'lessons'. That would be their get-out for not having to pay at least 4 months' salary for each term worked.

6. ITA76

ITA76 New commenter

Hmmm I have just started a part time position in an ind school on a contract to last unitl the last day of the summer term. It isnt a mat cover. I havent seen my contract yet so not sure if I will be paid summer holiday pay but I assume I will be paid! Will be checking that out tomorrow!