1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Summer Holiday Pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by tafkam, Apr 12, 2008.

1. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Probably not.
    Chances are, the person you're covering has requested to return to work on the first day of the holidays, and so that's when your contract will end.

2. ianj6

ianj6 New commenter

I intend to leave teaching, I believ I can give 1 months notice in this case. If my new job starts before my summer holidays, do I get a cash payment in lieu of the holiday pay I've accumulated?

Cheers

ian

3. According to the rules, if you wish to resign at the end of the summer term you have to give your notice in by the 31st May. If you wish to leave at any other time you had best discuss this with your employer ASAP. It sounds as if you have a new job lined up so there is no need to delay doing this. The longer you leave it the more difficult it will be for your school to recruit your replacement. I have never heard of only giving a months notice simply because you are leaving teaching.

4. tafkam

It is a seemingly common misconception which is quite wrong.

5. To Julie:
    Yes, you should get pro-rata holiday pay, depending on how much of the year you have worked.
    Simple as that.
    Otherwise it is a Union issue.

6. Thats what I thought Monsieur I would have been employed by the LEA for 5 months by the time summer leave begins.

7. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Holiday pay does not work like thta (pro-rata) for temporary teachers.

If you work the Autumn term (the longest term) on a contract, you might end up with either ine week's holiday pay (for the half term ) or 3 weeks (half term + Xmas holiday up to 31st December).

If you are contracted for the entire Summer term, you would get at least 7 weeks of holiday pay (half term + summer break). However, those covering for a sickness or a maternity leave are usually taken on with FIXED TERM CONTRACT. tHOSE CONTRACTS STIPULATE THAT YOU WILL BE EMPLOYED UNTIL A SPECIFIED DATE OR 'THE RETURN OF THE POSTHOLDER, WHICHEVER IS SOONER'. Most new mothers elect to return to work in the last week of termtimeor on the first day of the holiday. They go back on full pay and the cover teacher's employment ends, with no holiday pay.

I would advise all cover teachers to state that they either want a guarantee of employment until the 31st August (or the respective end dates of the other terms) OR they want to be paid (at least for the summer term) on daily paid supply rate. With daily pay from an LEA you get pro-rata holiday pay in advance with your rate. For every 3 days that you work, you get one day of holiday pay (25% of your pay is advance holiday money).

The most lucrative option is to be daily paid for the Autumn term (and hope you do not have to take any unpaid sick days) and then to be on a full summer term contract where you will work for no more than 13 weeks and will get at least 7 weeks of holiday pay.

8. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

ine = one!

9. lizzy1981

lizzy1981 New commenter

Hi,
    I'm a bit gutted about that last post. I've been doing a maternity cover of Gifted and Talented Co-ordinator for the last year and the lady I'm covering for is back on 1st July. She's negotiated far more time and money for the same position for next year, and will also receive the holiday pay despite me working the job all year. Although I get on well with her, I now feel extremely resentful, and although it's nothing personal, I feel very hard done by!
    I've also taken on the role of Lead Practitioner Researcher, which doesn't officially end until at least July 11th. I'm really hoping this means they will pay me at least up until that date. It does seem incredibly unfair that maternity leave people can work the system to their advantage but to the clear disadvantage of those covering their responsibilities.
    Has anyone got any advice? I'm hoping to approach the head tomorrow to ask re. pay until at least the end of the Lead Practitioner role.

10. tafkam

Unfortunately, Lizzy, it is a system which does not favour the maternity cover teacher. Unfortunately, that is your lot.
    The rules are the same for every woman - maternity can begin when she chooses, and last any length up to 12 months, depending on her choice.
    I suspect that if one day you need to make use of maternity pay, you'll be glad of it.

11. Anron

Anron New commenter

Just a thought.

My baby was premature - if she had arrived early at the beginning of the summer holiday (after me having worked the entire year) I would have lost my holiday pay too.

It is this fact that sends mothers back to work before the holiday. Schools /LEA give no compensation, so why should mothers 'be kind'?

I am soory you'll lose the pay, but I think employers should make this clearer so that people who cover mternity leave understand this.

12. YOY

YOY

It is one of those READ YOUR CONTRACT things, I reckon - not really very fair, but there in black and white. It is a bit specific to teaching, mind you... and for a teacher on contract rather than day rate I do wonder if it has ever been challenged legally.

In any other job the person covering would accrue holiday at the rate of one week of holiday per 13 weeks worked, subject to working a minimum of 13 weeks, as outlined in the working time directive. So after 6 months contract they would be entitled to 2 weeks holiday. (BTW, this is true even for temps working through agencies - which is why commercial agencies will take you off their books and P45 you if you haven't worked for a bit, so that you aren't employed at the 13 week point and therefore can't take your accrued holiday pay! At least, they used to - not sure if things have been tightened up in the last couple of years.)

Daily supply gets round this because they reckon that the holiday pay is included in the day rate and exceeds this minimum - which is true if the pay to scale i.e. the 1/195 rate. I guess that on a term to term contract they probably meet the WTD requirement anyway, because of the half term weeks and Christmas/Easter holidays.

And in defence of the returning mothers who 'play the system' in this way, in a non-education role you continue to accrue holiday whilst on maternity leave. So you take all the holiday they owe you up to that point just before the start of your maternity leave, take the maximum 52 weeks ML and then have 4 weeks holiday on full pay to play with! This is because, although not working, you are still employed during the ML period.

It really sucks for people in your position tho Lizzy/Julie.

13. Thanks for taking the time to respond, unfortunately in my case it would seem that I was misinformed with regards to staying on to covering the extra maternity leave and it would seem that they may now try to cover the lessons internally with cover supervisors and teachers that lose year 11's so summer pay not really relevant to me anymore! But yes it does suck but thats life on a temporary contract I suppose. Good luck to the OP and you get what's rightfully owed.

14. Last time I started a fixed term contract, it started in Jan and ended 31 Aug - I think, shropshirelad, the school had to do that because I'd been contracted for the whole summer term.