1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Summer holiday pay after maternity?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by kellyarmer, Aug 28, 2018.

1. kellyarmer

kellyarmer New commenter

Hi

I started my maternity last year on the first day after Oct half term. I decided to return just before the summer hols. I worked the last 2 weeks of the summer term and worked my new contract of 2 days a week plus an extra afternoon for transition for which I put in an overtime form. I have been paid today and have got the same amount I was getting when full time plus my overtime. I thought I would be on my part time wage now? I will ring HR tomorrow but wondered if anyone could give me any insight so I can prepare myself to pay some of it back!

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you went back for two days a week at the end of last year, then yes, you would expect to have been paid part-time over the summer, so this sounds like an error. You certainly can't have the overtime if you were being paid full-time. It's probably just a case of someone failing to pass the information to payroll.

(A canny operator would have asked to go part-time from September, returning full-time from the first day of the summer holidays and doing the 4.5 days in the summer term as KIT days, but it sounds as if you didn't. Maybe payroll were told you were going part-time but assumed it was from September.)

3. kellyarmer

kellyarmer New commenter

I had already done most of my kit days unfortunately as I needed that money to top up the maternity pay. I think part of the problem is our in school finance manager who dealt with these things was moved to work in the academy head office at the end of term so I'm guessing there has been a confusion in handover somewhere. I'd best hold off on spending the money until I get hold of HR!