1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Summer holiday job pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Abijess23, May 17, 2019.

1. Abijess23

Abijess23 New commenter

Hi,
    I have handed in my notice to end my current role on 31 Aug this year. I am not moving onto another role as am going travelling indefinitely. In the mean time, I've just been offered a job at a summer school for 3 weeks of the summer holiday. What do I need to do about declaring this for tax pursoses etc?
    Thanks

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Nothing, The employer will deduct tax as directed by HMRC. As soon as HMRC become aware that you have a second employer, they will issue a new tax code via a Notice of Coding.
    However... the Notice of Coding may well assume that you'll have two employers from now on. In that case you'll need to follow it up by writing to HMRC or communicating via the HMRC website to say what is actually happening.

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

The standard practice until you hand over your P45 (which won't be until your teaching job finishes so won't happen here) is for you to be taxed on all your second job pay at standard rate - all your tax free allowance will be used up by your first job. For somebody who continues to work for the whole of the tax year, this means you pay the right amount of tax. However, in your case, assuming you don't get another job this tax year, you will overpay tax, so contact the tax man to explain this and get a refund.

tbau likes this.