1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Summer holiday advice?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by arl17, Sep 15, 2019.

1. arl17

arl17 New commenter

I’ve not been away since New York 2016 & I’m in need of a holiday! Me and my partner want to book soon, but after looking at a couple of places, I’m shocked at how much it is to go away during the summer! Any advice on where we can find the best deals? Also, any recommendations on somewhere nice in Europe to visit for a sun/sea holiday? :)

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Did this one get lost down the back of the settee o_Oo_O

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

My partner and I... :rolleyes:

We're not travel agents.:D

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I'm afraid I can't help on holiday advice (we usually stay in the UK), but hopefully someone will come along with a more constructive suggestion soon! We might not be travel agents, but someone might have some ideas.

5. Dunteachin

Yes. My reply was not helpful. Soz.:rolleyes:

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

For late summer sun I'd say you need the Mediterranean or even further south. Maybe a Greek island? (Santorini is stunning...) or the Canaries? We also like Madeira, and can recommend a hotel there if asked!

7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I have friends who are in Croatia at present and say the weather's nice. It's less expensive than some places I think. We're going to Northumberland at the end of the week. Not guaranteed sun but it's lovely there and you save a lot by not going abroad.

8. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

Why not try house sitting if price is a problem to you.
    Many people do this and its a fun way to visit another country. There are two main websites :mindmyhouse and trusted house sitters where you can register and browse the sits.All you usually pay for is the flight.
    You might be able to take more than one holiday if you're saving on accommodation.

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If you liked New York then try Chicago. 10 times better and friendlier.

If you just want sun and sand then Spain would be my choice. Some smashing places on the Costa Brava if you avoid Lloret and Tossa plus you have Barcelona and Girona on the doorstep. L'Escala is nice as is Estartit.

coffeekid likes this.
  10. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I agree with the Costa Brava/Barcelona.

blazer likes this.
  11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Chicago also has beaches!

12. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

Do you mean for this year or next?

13. warburtonja

warburtonja New commenter

Slovenia is amazing! Absolutely beautiful with lots to see and quite cheap

14. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

If you want to get away in October half-term Cyprus is a good bet for sun sand and sightseeing.

15. Dunteachin

My sister lives in Northern Cyprus: unspoilt beach, turtles....

But she has 5 dogs and a partner who irritates me. So we've never been to her lovely villa with pool.

16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Well, I can't recommend anywhere lest it be overrun by hordes of grammatically-challenged Brits!

One expects them on home shores but I'll be damned if I pay good money to go abroad and have my vacation ruined!

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If you mean real sea with waves (as opposed to the Northern Mediterranean) I'd suggest Biarritz.

If you just want plenty of nice water and scenery but not overly commercial I'd say Lake Kostanz (aka Bodensee).

Oddly enough, on our return from le continent yesterday evening we ate out at a pub next to where we were stopping overnight, and after a month of hearing hardly any English spoken, the inane blather of English pub goers was quite depressing. There's a lot to be said for not being able to understand the ambient language when holidaying. :)

blazer, grumpydogwoman and lindenlea like this.