1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Summer fair: 'expectation' of attendance

Discussion in 'Primary' started by SweetDee42, Jun 29, 2019.

1. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

Although I would normally try to attend my share of these type of events, I never felt guilty if I couldn't - or in some instances just didn't attend. Do what you want. It might be good fun and you can still go for a drink afterwards - or just don't if you don't want.

2. Steffster

Steffster New commenter

I believe it's part of your commitment to the school and to your job to attend such events particularly when they involve the children. It's part of the teaching standards to show you are committed to the school and wider community.

3. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

At reasonable times, with reasonable notice and without going over directed time though! Committed doesn't equal doormat.

lardylady, Sally006 and DexterDexter like this.
  4. WB

WB Occasional commenter

What if you ever need to go to your head and ask for a bit of flexibility due to a relative’s hospital appointment?

Would you be happy for your head to say no as the appointment falls within directed time?

Be careful what you wish for. If you’re not prepared to show some flexibility then fine; just don’t expect any back.

5. NIHistoryTeacher

NIHistoryTeacher New commenter

100% agree providing you work in a school where there is that quid pro quo. Not so nice when it's all take and no give. Sadly, many schools are now following the latter model.

Morgelyn and WB like this.
  6. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

It's not an expectation staff go to ours. It is nice if they do but if they choose not to then I am not going to tell them they must. I don't want staff resenting being there, I only want them there if they want to be there. At past school it was a Friday after school until 6pm. I used to tell the HT I would stay for the first half and run the BBQ but then would go as it was a Friday night and I wanted to be home. He didn't have a problem. I always thought it was better to be there a short amount of time but do something as opposed to being there the whole time and doing nothing as some did!

First thing I did as a HT was move all PTA stuff off a Friday. School disco was moved to a Thursday. Some parents didn't like it but I just told them I wasn't prepared to run anything on a Friday night as that is the weekend for me and the staff.

7. SweetDee42

SweetDee42 New commenter

Are you my boss? (S)he literally printed this page of the Teacher Standards and waved it at me!

DexterDexter likes this.