1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Summer fair: 'expectation' of attendance

Discussion in 'Primary' started by SweetDee42, Jun 29, 2019.

1. SweetDee42

SweetDee42 New commenter

Hi all. Was hoping people would please share their thoughts/experiences...

Our summer fair is on a Friday next month, 5-7pm.

We were told by the HT in the Sep INSET that she 'expects' us to attend. (Ditto the Xmas one.)

I ...don't want to! Haven't got big plans or anything - just pub with pals, recovering from work.

Surely we can't be made to attend on a Friday night? I don't even see why I should have to go and apologise, tbh.

lardylegs likes this.
  2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Ours used to be voluntary and some would help. Being the deputy I always went and ran stalls with some of the children. it was a pain but I reckoned it was one of the things I was paid a higher salary for. I was always really pleased that some others came too but never pushed it.

lardylegs, SweetDee42 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree it is usually expected and 'comes with the territory.
    Ours used to be after school on a Friday and it was worse when they did it on a Saturday.:(

lardylegs and SweetDee42 like this.
  4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Ours used to be very much the same - an expectation - and, as lara says, it was worse in the days when it was on a Saturday. However, now it's totally run by the PTA and current Head has no expectation that we will help or even attend - it's an event run by the parents for the families. Most of us do still go after school and help out for a short while, but it's entirely our choice.

5. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

It can only be an 'expectation' if you're paid to do it and it's part of your contract. Your HT should have phrased her wishes differently and said that she'd like everyone to attend (and would understand that not everyone would want to or be able to) and would be very appreciative of those did.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Does it fit in to your 1265 hours of directed time?
    If it does, and you have clearly been given plenty of notice, then you probably can't get out of it.

7. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Second what caterpillar says but 7pm on a Friday does seem like poor timing and I'm very sympathetic!

We have ours on a mid-week day every year. It's not voluntary but we cancel all meetings that week so it comes out of our directed time and it's wrapped up by 5pm at the latest. We release TAs in the afternoon to set it up then teachers get rid of kids ASAP and we get started straight after home time. We get more parents too as they just potter for a bit as they pick up.

Don't understand schools which use the weekend. Nope. Nope. Nope.

8. SweetDee42

SweetDee42 New commenter

Thanks for the replies, all!

I wish I dared ask if it's part of our directed hours! Am pretty sure it's not, or she'd have phrased the 'expectation' like this?

We are also 'expected' to attend the Y6 leavers' party, which starts at 6 on a Thur. I have no plans to after I did three years in Y6 and during my tenure, the Y6 team handled everything and nobody else was pressured to stay back to help us.

...I think I'm getting more assertive! :D It's about time! :D

lardylegs, sabrinakat and bonxie like this.
  9. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Go and enjoy it. I liked the summer fairs. A nice chance to mingle with the children and parents in a fun atmosphere. The children are always pleased to see you too. Go to the pub afterwards.
    Likewise with the year 6 leavers do. I taught children from Nursery to year 6, so I got to know them really well. We always had a Bbq. Everyone was invited--teachers, tas, cleaners, cooks, parent helpers, caretaker. You didn't have to go, but Lots of us did. It was a lovely relaxed evening and again a chance to chat to the children in a relaxed, informal setting.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    queenlit, freckle06 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. SweetDee42

SweetDee42 New commenter

Sparklepig, you are adorable.

But I don't want to do school stuff in my own time! #Grump

11. che48

che48 New commenter

We had a summer fair last year that ended with two parents toe to toe shouting and swearing while children cried. No thanks.

lardylegs and SweetDee42 like this.
  12. WB

WB Occasional commenter

Che49
    That sounds way more entertaining than the tombola!

13. SweetDee42

SweetDee42 New commenter

Che48: Yeah, my school's fair sounds more like yours than SparklePig's!

14. DexterDexter

DexterDexter New commenter

I’m completely on your side @SweetDee42
    I am working very hard on my diplomacy skills and I would find it hard not to say “Nah! Directed hours?! I completed those by February!”

Perhaps something will crop up.

Can you take my dog to the vets?
    Can you check in on my dad?
    Can you go to the pharmacy for me before they close?

Oh, look! “Sorry HT, I can’t go to the fair, Dexter has asked me to take the dog to the vets” or “I’ve been asked to check in on Dexter’s dad”...

You wouldn’t be lying!!!!

SweetDee42 likes this.
  15. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Did your last pay review meet your expectations?

16. SweetDee42

SweetDee42 New commenter

Nope.

lardylegs likes this.
  17. DexterDexter

DexterDexter New commenter

18. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Unavoidable pre-existing commitments. You are entitled to have them.

I never went to Xmas meals and first couple of years they were shocked, nay appalled. Then because I had established this they stopped expecting me to attend. I had assumed the identity of someone who didn’t attend them.

Still a senior leader, but you know, it’s ok not to attend this sort of thing,

lardylegs and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  19. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Summer Fair.

Organised by PTA, so a PTA event? Staff can choose to attend, if free, with no previous commitments.

There is NO WAY you can be directed to attend an event like this. Always have some family event planned for that weekend. Always.

I personally think the Summer Fair is a good measure of the effectiveness of the HT. If he/she is a Good Egg, people will probably be happy to help out, bit of a laugh, etc.

if he/she is an egotistical *******/ess, who does the minimum but expects the maximum, then, surprise, surprise, not many people will be willing to attend, apart for that Sad Faced one who does PE and always says yes to everything.

20. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

The art of compromise...go at 5pm, whizz around visiting stalls and talking to as many people as possible for 10 - 15 mins, then leave.