1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SUMMER BREAK

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by laurenmiller97, May 30, 2019.

1. laurenmiller97

laurenmiller97 New commenter

Hi
    does anyone else get the summer blues?
    The first 2 weeks of the summer holiday im great but the rest of the summer I become really low. I have periods of time where I will just stay in bed as what is the point of getting up when I have nothing to get up for.
    My work is my life. I do have a social life but not as much as I would like as I don't have many friends and the ones I have work all year round. so i spend days just sat in the house.

I am looking for advice as I'm not looking forward to the summer. I have tried to get a summer job but so far no luck.

2. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Could you not ask your local authority about what summer clubs they run? Ours have one every year. I do agree it can get boring. I usually do loads around the house, a really good clean, do the gardens, give clothes and items to charity and get ready for the new term by checking I'm prepared to give the children the best I can.
    You could also look out for any learning online. If you have a kindle there are lots of free kindle books you could read for pleasure as well as improving your skills at work.
    Get yourself out as well. A nice thirty minute walk every day to blow the cobwebs away is great or take up a new sport.
    Try to take this time to look after you!

3. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

I have never liked Summer and it’s only since I’ve been older that I happily admit it. People look at me like I’m mad, I’ve only met one other person who didn’t like summer and both of us enjoy seeing each other when Autumn arrives and we are giddy with joy.

School wise I agree the summer holiday can be a blessing or a slight curse. There was an excellent thread on here in July 2017 about how people struggle during the summer break. It was amazing how many people find the summer break difficult. I take quite a long time to adjust from going at a million miles an hour to zero work wise but try to make sure I read, see people and relax. I’m always glad to get back to school though.

I tend to focus on the dog and getting a bit more exercise by walking him and do work related stuff when I feel like it. I do find popping into an empty school and pottering about relaxing and I do things which will free me up a bit when September comes round. I am a primary teacher though so can busy myself in my classroom during the break - I do understand that as a TA that might be more difficult for you as you don’t own the space the way a teacher does so might feel you can’t go in and potter about.

You are not alone in struggling over summer. Most people love this perk of a school based job and I do appreciate how lucky we are to have it but recognise that for me it can be a bit of a bore.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  4. stargirl81

stargirl81 New commenter

This year will be my 6th summer since working in a school. My best friend who is a teacher did say to me coming up to the first summer hols, make sure you get a good book..! I saw why pretty much 2 weeks in to the holidays..

She got married the first week so she was away on honeymoon, i had one other friend who was also off so did spend some time with her but she was also arranging her wedding, also was a nursery manager so obviously had work stuff to do. My parents ( I live with them) were away the first 2 weeks with one of my sisters and my nephews.. I felt really really down. Also didn't have a holiday booked as we were going away for the hen do ( the friend i mentioned up there!) for 4 days to Dublin but wasn't until the end, and my actual holiday was to be in October half term for her wedding in Italy. So I was lost and i felt really really sad!

I got by but wasn't particularly sad about work when it was time to go back!

The next years have been better, my best friends husband runs holiday clubs and also does PE at my school so he convinced my head to let him do the clubs at my school, I work with him. I do one a week until either I go on holiday or he does. He also does another local school which I might be needed at so that really helps to break up a week. I've been fortunate to be able to go away on holiday since that first one actually in the 6 weeks which also helps to break it up. I do get some good books, go on walks, try to see any friends who happen to be off, sort out my bedroom, help my Mum with things in the house, go out for lunch.

My advice to you would be to find a summer job even if it is only one or two days a week it helps to break it up. Plan something that will cost money at least once a week, even like getting some food and having a picnic or just going to the cheap cafe for lunch. See friends and family when you can, even if you arrange it for an evening it gets you through an otherwise boring day!

6 weeks is a long time but you can get through it if you plan things xx

5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

find some voluntary work? go on a working holiday? do some study?

is it WRS? because I have known lots of people who feel WRS worse when they are not actually working, especially Sundays, in term time.

6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Hi lauren, sorry you are feeling down about the approaching summer break. I love it, but I do know there are lots of people who feel the way you do. It does take me a few weeks to 'wind down'. I think the idea of a summer job is a good one, even if it was voluntary. As well as the council-run playschemes (which I think are quite difficult to get on to, but worth a try), lots of churches and community centres run schemes for a week or two. I'm sure they would welcome a volunteer, especially one who was qualified and DBS checked already - and it might widen your social circle too. I do save lots of boring household and garden chores for the summer holidays, but also use them to catch up with reading, walk a lot, visit exhibitions, etc that I never have time to in term time.

When my daughter was younger and couldn't afford holidays, she regularly went on National Trust breaks. These are very cheap and usually involve YH style accommodation with the group sharing a wide range of tasks on National Trust properties during the day. She things from clearing a stream of plastic and rubbish to dry stone walling - she always enjoyed it and met some lovely people.

7. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

I struggle with the summer break too. I try to keep busy by deep cleaning the house, decluttering, sorting out the kids clothes etc. We go for days out but we haven’t been able to afford a summer holiday for a few years, which would break it up a little bit!

8. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

What about planning an activity a week to give yourself something to look forward to. Try new activities, indoor rock climbing, baking class , crafting of some sort or a new team sport. I spend most of the summer lesson planning and researching resources but I also work privately as a tutor.