1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Summer born baby, resigning after maternity leave

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Varsani85, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Varsani85

Varsani85 New commenter

Hi,

I would appreciate some advice. Hope everything below will make sense.

I work at an independent school so do not receive enhanced maternity pay so do not need to work 13 weeks to keep extra money etc.
    Baby was born on 10th July during the school Summer holiday. I made a part time request which was denied so I have decided that I will not return. Is there a way that I can get paid over the coming summer holiday to soften the blow of not getting paid my full wage for the summer holiday that has just gone?

2. Varsani85

Varsani85 New commenter

I should have mentioned that I need to give a terms notice so really need to hand in my resignation letter soon. From what I understand, you can return back to work during the summer holiday. So can I write that I will return back to work on the first day of summer holiday (in this case Saturday 6th July) and I will resign from 31st August? If I can do this, how on earth do I go about wording this in a letter?

Thank you in advance for you help.

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Dear Head

I would like to notify you that I intend to end my maternity leave on Friday 5th July, returning to work from Saturday 6th.

As it is not possible for my request for part-time hours to be accommodated, I am also tendering my resignation with effect from 31st August.

(Add any nice comments or thanks you want to make. If you currently have anything belonging to the school, or have left any of your belongings there, you might say that you'll make contact in June to make arrangements for their return.)

Piranha likes this.