1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Suitable plants

Discussion in 'Science' started by beethan31, Jan 16, 2012.

1. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

Hi
    I'm doing Green Plants with my Y3/4 class and need some plants to put in the light and dark so that the children can observe the importance/function of the leaves (photosynthesis).
    Basically, I want to know which plants would be good to demonstrate this? I might be asking the impossible at this time of year, but I want something I can pick up easily from a supermarket or garden centre. I want seedlings ideally, and something that is ready now!

Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. Try cress seeds: they are readily available, germinate reliably in a few days, and the children will enjoy growing them. Works well in a bit of compost, or on damp cotton wool in a petri dish. Keep a few on a windowsill and a few in a dark cupboard, and see the difference.

3. fiendishlyclever

fiendishlyclever Occasional commenter

Mung bean (bean sprouts) also germinate quickly and are a little bit bigger to handle easily.

4. Goat2

Goat2 New commenter

Radish seed do well
    Also track down who in the school gets the CLEAPSS material or knows their passwords and get their booklets on plants in school.