1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Suitable Background Music for YR 5/6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bimboedder, Aug 12, 2011.

1. During my introduction day with my new year 5/6 class I did an activity - I learn best when...
    The majority of my 35 children all agreed that they learnt best when they had music on in the background. I want to download some tunes to play during the day and wondered if any of you lovely people had any suggestions of suitable music or CD's?

2. During my introduction day with my new year 5/6 class I did an activity - I learn best when...
    The majority of my 35 children all agreed that they learnt best when they had music on in the background. I want to download some tunes to play during the day and wondered if any of you lovely people had any suggestions of suitable music or CD's?

3. There is a CD called 'Mozart for Baby' It's the best for background music (just don't let your pupils see the title!)

4. jubilada

jubilada New commenter

This has been a thread previously so you might like to do a back search for replies.
    As a musician I would hate to have to do any kind of work requiring concentration with music on, as I would be totally unable to focus, unless it was something like art work. Please bear this in mind, as there will be children who would also find it difficult.

5. I agree with jubilada, I think it depends on the work. I'm very musically minded and so I find that music can actually be more of a distraction then help sometimes. I find that my ears and mind wander to it and that's what I concentrate on but it really depends on the individual and the work. Maybe give it a trial and see whether it improves their working or not, maybe do a little questionnaire/vote afterwards to see how many of them found work easier and how many found it difficult?

6. Grooveshark is a great site - full choice of musical genre and free - I haven't ever found it blocked in school either.