1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

suitability of NVQ

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by namasaya2009, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Hi all
    I have a couple of questions on NVQ as I am researching a new course for Yr 10
    who is NVQ French best suitable for in terms of ability? (I have a mix of students in one group who would probably achieve Es tops at GCSE at a big push) and is it easy to administer?
    anybody with NVQ experience would be welcome [​IMG]

2. Hello,
    The NVQs are fairly new to everyone. we are running a introductory training session at the end of april if you are still confused and you need someone to tlak you through it?
    It seems these are going to pick up in the coming years now that CBLC is being discontinued.
    Nick

3. training session would be very useful.
    I will look up your link

thanks

4. Hi
    We currently offer NVQ level 1 and 2 in year 9 depending on ability. The kids seem to really like it especially those less able as the course is very accessable to them and they feel that they havce achieved something in what can be a hard subject.
    Once you have all the assessments 'made' then its not too tricky - we enjoy teaching it.

5. mkid

mkid New commenter

Are there any training sessions in the south-west, please?

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

How can it be right that pupils who would have no chance of getting an A*-C grade at GCSE are able to claim a B grade equivalent through taking an NVQ level 2?
    If the NVQ is aimed at pupils who are low ability, the highest grade possible should be a D grade equivalent at most.
    My car mechanic tells me that he's fed up with young lads turning up looking for work and claiming to be qualified mechanics because they have an NVQ level 1,2 or 3. He tells them that the piece of paper they have is nowhere near the standard for being qualified and that he served a 5 year apprenticeship before he could be considered qualified.
    He asked me why we're so obsessed in Education with giving the pupils so many bits of paper that signify so little but make them think that they're the bees' knees!

7. We are embarking on the NVQ route because I think it is fairer . Foundation traditional C candidates don't get a look in with GCSE these days and I am fed up with putting in kids for a GCSE exam that is getting increasingly harder for them to achieve in - kids getting C routinely a few years ago now get D routinely.I am also fed up with it being harder than other subjects - MFL in our school is always one grade if not two down on other subjects despite the fact that we have excellent resources, willing pupils and a great team of talented hardworking teachers.
    NVQ requires a different sort of language and skills and actually I think some of it is harder than GCSE - it is not a piece of cake at all! Yes you can use notes but you have to get virtually everything correct - no room for error at all.

8. Forgot to say - our pupils are more motivated and discipline issues with diasaffected KS4 pupils have all but disappeared because they enjoy it!
    There have been threads before on NVQ -have a look and I am sure you will find plenty of detail. Chekc out the iLanguages website too. Go for it I say!

9. Sorry to sound negative, but NVQ Spanish is a horrendous course. It demotivates higher ability students and bores to death everybody, including the teachers. Lower ability instead of performing better are actually learning nothing, particularly year 9 students, as they have no concept of business, let alone in Spanish and cannot connect to the course, particularly in the early stages of year 9 (they are way too young for it!). I am now convinced that the NVQ should be compressed (particularly level 1, where the first 10 lessons are basically spent to learn job titles and to say name, surname job title and where you work!) and offered to year 10 students as an alternative course to the more academic GSCE or as enrichment course to 6th form students, leaving year 9 to do the foundation part of the language to achieve at least the required level 5 or 6. The assessments are many, but they are honestly very straight forward if students are prepared for the test, even if it is really hard work for the teachers as there are lots of retakes due to minor errors (the pass requires a totally perfect test).
    Clearly some teachers have had positive experiences from what they write, but just beware that it is not the magic solution for the bottom sets as a lot of the resources and materials provided are really boring and you have to become really creative (otherwise said, reinvent the course) to make it enjoyable. It did not work with our kids and 4 very different and very motivated teachers tried it!

10. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

Don't forget that NVQ languages don't count towards the Ebaac.