1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Suit or no suit?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by angelface22, Feb 7, 2012.

1. angelface22

angelface22 New commenter

Morning! I have my first AHT interview coming up. Now the question is, do I wear a suit? (I am a lady!). Suits aren't really me, but I understand the need to be dressed for business. Any feedback welcome before I go shopping please.....

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Suit. You cannot 'over dress' for an SLT post (or any teaching job, for that matter).

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Always smart for interview, but even more so for AHT/SMT posts. You could try a dress and jacket or a smart trouser suit, if you feel suits are 'not you'.You can always remove the jacket for any teaching part and then put on for the' formal interview part'
    You do need to project 'professionality' for such a post, and not just on the day of interview, so a smart dress or trouser suit would be a good investment.
    Best of luck with it!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Suit.
    Shoes polished
    Tights no runs - take spare pair.
    Very little jewellery, and certainly not dangly or jangly stuff.
    Nails clean and manicured (but not long talons or bright colours - neat and short and discreet).
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

5. ihatemondays

ihatemondays New commenter

Without doubt wear a suit. We had one candidate who decided to wear "smart jeans" - sent home after 1 hour. Also I would add to Theos great list - tidy hair. I know this sounds obvious, but the number of candidates who have hair over their eyes - which student feedback is always negative about.
    Good luck.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Tidy and also - sorry - fairly natural colour . . .
    [​IMG]
    And no piercings - remember, the Head possibly, the Governors and Consultants almost certainly, are rather conservative - even Old Fogeys like me!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

7. angelface22

angelface22 New commenter

Thought So. Many thanks everyone. I've been out today and bought a trouser suit. Now to work on my presentation!

8. I always wear a suit. You can always be slightly less formal once you have settled into your new job (e.g.I switch to trousers, shirts and a knitted 'tank top' or sleeveless jumper or whatever they're called after that).

9. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter