1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions on Card Sort Type activities in RS

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by thegreenlantern, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    I recently read an excellent book called Pimp your Lessons and one great suggestion was using card sort activities for starters. Unfortunately I have never used card sort type activities and wanted any suggestions of anyone who has succesfully used any such activities in religious studies???
    thanks guys[​IMG] I appreciate your time in responding

2. For example, for GCCE , biblical quotes that can be ranked for or against a particular statement like, "men and women should have equal roles within the family"

Card sorts can also be used at A Level to differentiate statements that apply to particular theories.

Or card sorts to match keywords and definitions.

3. I use card sorts a lot, mainly for ranking and generating discussion in pairs. There are many excellent resources that very generous teachers have added under the RE resources section several of which contain card sort activities.

Also, this document gives a good pedagogical explanation for different uses of card sorts.

http://www.heacademy.ac.uk/assets/ps/documents/briefing_papers/using_card_sorts_2009.pdf

Hope this helps.

4. [​IMG]Thanks guys REALLY HELPFUL suggestions

5. I use card sorts to match key words with definitions, to rank ideas (e.g. in a diamond 9), to decide whether arguments are for or against an issue . . . I find them really useful.

6. disconic

disconic New commenter

Off the top of my head, a card sort using different moral dilemmas, pupils sort them into groups and decide whether its always /sometime/ never right to do the scenareos.