1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for Year 5 please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lauren1, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Lauren1

Lauren1 New commenter

I've found out at this stage in the year that I need to change 2 of my books for next year to teach to a mixed attainment class and I'm struggling to think of engaging texts. They are supposed to be linked to our themes and to be used within shared reading / guided reading and as a spring board for wider literacy lessons. Would anyone have any ideas that could help me so that I can swot up over the summer and write two new schemes? One theme is related to the Maya and the other to mountains. Any texts you could suggest would be great. Even if they're just linked to the country rather than the specific time period, that would be great. Only ideas I can come up with at the moment are: Journey to the River Sea and The Abominables which are both by the same author, Eva Ibbotson, so can't really do both. Many thanks in advance!

2. ultimatedingbat

ultimatedingbat Established commenter

Kensuke's Kingdom maybe?

The Maya is a HORRENDOUS topic to teach and really there's not much you can do literacy wise, unless you go for stories from other cultures more broadly.

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

funny how the Maya have suddenly become topical, I don't understand why. Our Year 6 have been doing them, I will pick their brains.
    out of interest, any one know how or who decided they are the best idea?
    With schools having the freedom to choose topics, we were given open choice to match our NC targets and had great fun choosing new and some old and trusted friends for the coming year. it helps that our local history studies are easily applied to the Tudors, Victorians or any other period up to now!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think it's to do with the choice of a Non-European ancient civilisation option for history.

Best idea might be to go with Mayan myths and legends, literacy wise.

5. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Does your text have to link with your topic? Better to go for a strong stand-alone text rather than trying to find links when there aren't any obvious ones? I thought
    The Abominables had some very unpleasant scenarios near the end of the book and wouldn't personally recommend it. If it has to be Mountains, what about some shorter texts which may link? E.g. a recounting of the conquest of Everest, folktales from around the world or a Grimm's fairytale?

6. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

Kensuke's Kingdom is a winner with Y5 I'd thoroughly recommend it.

7. karentee

karentee New commenter

We taught the Maya this year to upper KS2 and there were no suitable texts that would link (there's obviously a great opportunity for a budding author here!) so we focussed on non fiction texts and Mayan myths and legends. Sometimes the links just can't be forced.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. KS2History

KS2History New commenter

Look at booksfortopics.com - a really useful resource that has lists of books linking to different topics. There is a Mayans page on there and you might find good inspiration on some of the other topic lists too..

www.booksfortopics.com