1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for pirate book to start topic on pirates (year 2)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by marlin, Jun 10, 2011.

1. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I know Somalia is a long way from SA, but it is still Africa. Might this be a very sensitive subject for a topic given all the troubles? Are they African children or is it an International School? They might be more interested to do a topic all about the UK - after all I'm sure you, as a visitor from a long way away, will generate a lot of interest!

2. Hi Marlin,

They are African children, so maybe it is worth reconsidering. The school is based about an hour from Durban. I will check with the team leader as to how sensitive this issue may be within the school, thanks for the suggestion. Yes I was thinking of planning a topic about life in the UK, sure it will be very interesting for them!

3. marlin

Sorry, I didn't want to dent your enthusiasm, but the thought struck me as soon as I read your post, so it might be the same with others too. What about taking one of the story books that Y2 here would describe as a favourite and do some work based around that? It might be worth sharing some folk tales or fairy stories and comparing them with African tales. Jack and the Beanstalk is a book that also comes to mind as a classic English story - there are plenty of resources based on that. I'm sure you could bring in Maths and Art quite easily. Compare what Jack might buy at the market to what could be in a market in SA. Do some shopping tasks. A map of the Giants house - co-ordinates - locating objects in the story. If you look in the TES Resources section you'll find many more ideas.

I do hope you have a very successful time out there - what an experience!

4. No you didn't dent my enthusiasm, it was a niggling thought while writing the post, so I think you just confirmed what I was already thinking. I have only had ideas so far and haven't actually started planning so if the team leader agrees it is not suitable, I won't have wasted much time.
    I am going to have a look at Jack and the beanstalk resources and others similar, that are much 'safer'! Thanks for the suggestion.
    Yes, very excited, all for experience in applying for the primary pgce so I want to get it right!

5. marlin

Phew, I was a bit worried I might have upset you! [​IMG]
    I'm sure you'll be offered lots of advice from your team leader about how best to prepare and what you'll encounter when you get there.
    Make sure you have a good idea of what resources you can expect there to be - things we take for granted might not be part of the usual classroom supplies there. Have you seen photos of where you are going or is it all a mystery at the moment?
    You might get some good first hand tips from the teaching overseas forum.
    Good luck! [​IMG]

6. Thanks Marlin! Yes I am in touch with one of the girls who went last year so I have been bombarding her with all my questions! And the school is pretty limited in supplies but I have secured about £1000 worth of donations from companies like stationary equipment, art + crafts materials, learning resources, books, etc so I am able to plan my lessons around the stuff that has been donated! Thanks for your suggestions

7. marlin

Wow - you did well to get £1000 in donations. I am impressed!