1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for making my teaching style more engaging

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by paxton123, Jan 3, 2016.

1. paxton123

paxton123 New commenter

I have completed my first primary placement and I have been doing generally ok but I was told that part of the reason some children were misbehaving is possibly partly due to my general persona - body language, intonation etc was a bit flat and not as engaging as it could be (but said in politer words). I'm not naturally an extrovert/flamboyant person so this doesn't come naturally.

Any suggestions/advice welcome.

2. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

Don't want to read and run, I find when I am nervous I can be a bit "flat" too, but when I am feeling prepared and have a fun task for them to do I am more animated. Which level are you teaching? I am in year 1 and about to start second placement in reception tomorrow.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Teaching is a performance art- one of the best ways to learn is to observe good quality teaching and analyse what the teacher does to make it effective.
    This can be live or from video- talk with your mentors
    Nothing beats practice though.
    Some teachers I know have joined drama classes/public speaking sessions to help them project.

4. paxton123

paxton123 New commenter

Thanks for suggestions so far. My first placement was year 3 and I think I'll be going to year 5 or 6 next (tbc).

I've had a quick look at local dram classes - not really any adult ones nearby, but I think that's a good idea so will keep looking.

5. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

I'm not flamboyant and I am secondary but some of the things I do with lower years and primary transition groups are:
    Use pauses and emphasis for effect e.g. 'SO... What I am looking for is some OUTSTANDING thinking.'
    Sometimes a stage whisper can make things exciting
    I avoid too much intonation change like pitch because I think I sound ridiculous.
    If I want to engage the group but keep them quiet, make a settling down motion with my hands in front of my chest.
    Smiling at the students when delivering
    Move around the space when speaking

Using video recording if your school have it can be great for reflection.

Oh,.. And be wary of the idea that your body language is a factor in poor behaviour. Make sure you don't take all the flack on this. Whilst delivery is an area to work on, please don't buy into the idea that to make students behave, the teacher must be exciting and entertaining - at the end of the day, they just need to regardless of how entertaining the teacher is.