1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for class swap activities - a NEW forum!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gcsouth, Jul 4, 2006.

1. bump!

a great thread!!

2. ^
    this is fab, loads of great ideas here, I'm meetin my new class next week and can't wait, have never had a clss beofre, and I'm really excited!
    I really like the show box idea, it's important they know about me as well as me knowing about them!
    thank you for all your great ideas.

3. do you think you could do the shoe box idea with year 5? thanks :)

4. absolutely!
    you could get them to do something similar to present to the class in the first few days back in september

5. fantastic- thank you!! x

6. sirenne - I like the sound of your quiz. What year gruoup was it? Could you give me an idea of some of the questions you used? Thanks!

7. I was going to post about the birthday card idea (we're Year2) It really is a winner. Another idea is to make a colourful bookmark, one side decorated with their name and the other with pictures of their favourite things eg hobbies, animals, book characters etc. Later on I laminated them for durability, then during their first week back in their new class I hand them back to keep with their readng books.

8. Last year I did kites divided into 4 coloured sections where they wrote 'I like to...', '....makes me smile','I don't like...', 'I want to improve...', then we made bows from tissue paper and string to make the tail. For September I made them into a display on a washing line with the heading 'Flying High in Year 4'- it looked great and the children loved them!

Alwaysworried likes this.
  9. Excellent thread!

I've tried several of the ideas on here already and they work really well. Circe Time type games are always helpful and the children really enjoy them.

Discussing classroom rules and making rules posters is a good activity, then you only have to remind them in September and show them the posters, cards etc they have made.

Bookmarks and name labels are really good fillers if you have the class for the day and lovely to use throughout the year.

I usually do an art activity, pop art is a good one to do with y5 & y6.

Loved the birthday cards too, think all ages would love this!

10. sirenne

sirenne New commenter

Here are the wuestions I've used -

1. A cowboy rides into town on Friday. He spends two nights at a local hotel yet leaves on Friday. How does he do it?

2. A farmer has 10 sheep. 4 of them are dead and six of them are alive. How many sheep does he have?

3. You are in a cabin and it is pitch black. You have one match on you. There is a newspaper, a lamp, a candle and a fire. Which do you light first?

4. If you took 5 chocolates from a box which contained 20 chocolates, how many would you have?

5. If an airplane crashed exactly on the border of France and Germany, where would the survivors be buried?

6. You are driving a bus. Six people get on, two people get off, then ten people get on and five people get off, then eight people get on and four more people get off. What was the bus driver?s name?

Hope you find these useful!

11. sirenne

sirenne New commenter

sp: questions!

I used them with Y5/6.

12. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

13. up... keeping this thread current because its so useful

14. Absolutely loved the kite idea.... thank you!

15. sulkydame

sulkydame New commenter

Never mind the ideas - can someone please give me the answer to the cowboy question?????????????

sulkz

loving the ideas by the way !!

16. KMD

KMD

i did an 'explore' the classroom hunt sort of thing...

basically I put letters on pieces of card and put each one in a place I refer to regularly or something I often ask the children to get out e.g. whiteboards. The children were in small teams and had a list of the places where the letters were. They had to go around collecting the letters and then work out what they spelt (the class name - it's quite long)

11 of my existing class were staying with me so they were team leaders but only allowed to guide not take over and do the activity.

If I'd had a whole new class rather than solving the anagram I'd probably have done a sort of 'how many words' can you make challenge.

17. Hoss called Friday? (Took me ages to remember it.)

18. sulkydame

sulkydame New commenter

lol
    Thanks dillsage - I shall sleep peacefully now I know the answer ;)