1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for class swap activities - a NEW forum!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gcsouth, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Normally, I read a story (I like the wish cat) then we do some painting of cats (just related it to an usborne art activity), and making wishes on star (yellow piece of cardboard) backed on dark card, decorated with glitter glue etc, makes a nice display. Does take a long time though

2. Bumping this one up because I think there are loads of useful ideas for the first few days back here too.

3. I'd like to do a couple of tasks that would be useful for start of term assessments. Does anyone have any suggestions?

4. Fantastic thread, now can't decide whether to do kites, jigsaw, passports etc etc
    Only have an hour so need to start thinking. Thanks everyone for the fantastic ideas, moving year group and want to make it different, in case I get any of my old kids.[​IMG]

5. I ask class to draw and colour in 2 pictures of themselves (no bigger than about 10 cm2). I laminate these to use in Sept.These pictures can then be used in a wall display to show which group each child is in for Lit and Num. A good visual reminder for pupils in the first few weeks and the groups can be changed around easily.

6. I have a birthday train. Each large carriage has the months of the year on it and the children do a self portrait to put in the carriage of their birthday month. This also makes a good problem solving and data handling activity afterwards!

7. Wow! What a lot of fab ideas! I'm an NQT so I'll be using lots of these.
    Someone gave me a good one today - give children a big leaf and they write on one side something they're good at/proud of, and on the other something they'd like to achieve. the display could be called 'turning over a new leaf'.
    Keep them coming!

8. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

As well as using some of these great activities (I'm thinking kite at the moment), I'll be reading a short story (or something from Dirty Beasts) so I can see who the good listeners are...and who aren't!

9. I use a 'dream tree' display in my first lesson with my new class. We have a display board prepared with the branches of a tree and every child is given a leaf made from green paper and they write an aspiration for the year. We discuss it first, circle time style, adn then stick our leaves on the tree. Over the year they can add other leaves as they want to and transfer their dreams to an 'our achievements' roll of honour we create later on (this can be added to without a leaf too).

Jo

10. I take it you have a TA? With my class of 33 that would be impossible without one.
    Good idea, though.

11. louiseelsiet

louiseelsiet New commenter

Thought I'd bump up this thread!

12. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

I'll join you in bumpage!

13. I have used the passport idea for Y5 - shield on front cover to draw symbols that represent themselves, strengths, weaknesses, what they are proud of and targets for the year. They make a good display and then at the end of the year, we lookback and see if we met our targets!

14. What a great thread. I'm NQT and spending a whole day with my Y5 class this Thursday coming. I can't wait to try out some of these ideas. Am so grateful as I often lack inspiration for imaginative things, so thank you, thank you, thank you!

15. Although I usually do this within the first week back at school, I guess you could do it for class swaps.
    Also good for a display - mine this year has been up since the first week in September and is only just being removed due to its popularity.

Print a colour photo of each child, then print the same photo in B&W (or photocopy it).
    Cut one photo into strips (about 1.5-2cm wide) vertically.
    Cut the other into strips horizontally, (best to make it 3-4mm thinner than the vertical strips as they go together easier).
    Weave both photos together. It looks amazing. Mount onto coloured card when finished.
    I use this with Year 6 students.

16. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I had the children decorate paper plates in their self image. Using buttons, yarn, etc.
    Makes a nice display.

17. WOW! What an amazing list of wonderful ideas - every NQTs dream. Thank you all for sharing so generously.

18. Sounds a great idea. Just finding it a bit hard to imagine. Can you just reiterate some of the instructions. if you had your colour photo vertically do you keep strips in order or mix them up.
    Jackie