1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for class swap activities - a NEW forum!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gcsouth, Jul 4, 2006.

1. gcsouth

gcsouth New commenter

I've been browsing through the last few pages and noticed loads of requests for class swap activity ideas. I thought it would be a good idea if people added just one idea for meeting your new class to this post. We'd then hopefully end up with a HUGE bank of suggestions that people can draw on when doing class swap in the next couple of weeks. I'm sure there are loads of brilliant ideas out there that we can share!

2. gcsouth

gcsouth New commenter

I've been browsing through the last few pages and noticed loads of requests for class swap activity ideas. I thought it would be a good idea if people added just one idea for meeting your new class to this post. We'd then hopefully end up with a HUGE bank of suggestions that people can draw on when doing class swap in the next couple of weeks. I'm sure there are loads of brilliant ideas out there that we can share!

3. gcsouth

gcsouth New commenter

Here's my first suggestion which makes a fantastic display ready for September. I take a digital photograph of each child (on a blank background) and then print only one half of each photo out in black and white. Using pencils the children then draw the other half of their face. The effect is fantastic and the children love seeing the display on the first day of the new term.

Alwaysworried likes this.
  4. In KS1: the children make and decorate a name card to go next to their coat hook. Some choose to do it using ICT, others draw etc. The new labels are there for them, next to their coat space, when they return in September.

5. At our school we have class names - therefore 1 activity is always to draw a picture of that animal/nursery rhyme etc.

Another 2 I've done in the past is getting the children to draw their faces and stuck them on
    1. purple ovals and made a display - We're a grape bunch!
    2. On coloured circles - title - 'There are smarties in this class!'

Another year we took photos and made it into a huge jigsaw.... left a few missing pieces and wrote - 'We all fit together'

I think the US - bulletin ideas are fantastic.

6. Forgot to say that we only see our new classes for 1 session. That's about an hour.

Ask them what they enjoy doing and what they would like to do when they come back. Talk a bit about rules. Could give them some work to do over the holidays - like find pictures about..... bring in a soft toy (eg Puppy Class)

7. tog

tog

Should be a useful thread in these brain-dead last weeks! Here's two ideas..(we only get about 30 mins and I teach very small people!)
    Draw pictures of selves for display (with photos) - they like to see these, and I save them and we do it again in July and they can marvel at the changes!
    Or, this is for the very brave only, get some wall lining paper or similar and lots of paint, arrange children around long tables, paint a little shape or pattern, then on signal (or when music plays or whatever) move around and add a bit to the next bit of the paper, and so on until all the paper is filled or the bell goes! (Hope I explained that ok, easier to see it!) Makes a nice bright display for empty classroom and can use it as a background for other stuff later.

8. Last year we made bookmarks. Each child wrote and decorated their name on one side and on the other drew pictures of their favourite things eg pet/animal, sport, character, place, number etc. We then laminated and cut them out. At the beginning of the new school year we gave them back to the children during their first individual read. Most have kept and used them throughout the year (Y2).

9. I'll add my Passport here.
    I have uploaded a printable 'Passport to Year...' file. It makes a little A5 booklet with space for a photo and for the kids to add their details, favourite subjects, etc.
    All completely editable before printing/copying.

http://www.tes.co.uk/resources/Resource.aspx?resourceId=1696

ANGIE491 and Alwaysworried like this.
  10. Another nice idea and one that makes a good display is cutting out small pictures from holiday brochures and sticking them onto A5 white paper. The children then extend the picture in pastels in all drections.

11. Great thread.
    For upper KS2 a colleague has suggested that each child writes a letter to you about themselves and their favourite subjects/hobbies etc etc.
    This way you can get a feel for ability and preferences.

12. My Y2 new people write out and decorate some name labels for their tables. (Good way of finding out who can/can't write their name!)
    When they come in in September they need to find the table that their label is on!

13. gcsouth

gcsouth New commenter

Just renewing this thread!

14. love that black and white half photo idea

15. I'm using one of Robert Greaves' ideas from TES - prepare shoe box with personal items that tell the children something about yourself and say why they are important. Children then draw/write what they would put in a shoebox that would demonstrate their personality. At the end of the session, give each child a self addressed postcard and ask them to write and send it back when they have had a really good day - would make a good display.

16. We did circle time - my name is and the most intersting thing I've done is...
    They then wrote about their strengths and weaknesses
    We then thought of questions they could ask my current class - this will be our first display, as my curent class are currently answering them!

17. Write 3 'facts' about yourself but one has to be made up. This caused much hilarity among Year 4s.

18. Some really good ideas here. Thanks everyone

19. some great suggestions here. ive got the new class for a whole day. half of which ive already had for a year as we've got mixed age classes.

any ideas?

comet x