1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for backache?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by egyptgirl, Apr 25, 2011.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I've had really, really awful backache for about 5 days. I'm taking paracetamol and using heat to try and soothe it but to no avail. I know this is one of the symptoms quite a few pregnant women have but I'm starting a new job tomorrow and I don't want to spend the day with the pain at the forefront of my mind
    Any suggestions anyone?
    (One of my friends husbands did suggest losing weight but I pointed out that wasn't really going to be possible for several months!)

2. Hi,

I have also been suffering from terrible back pain for the last 5/6 weeks and I'm only 24 weeks pregnant. My pain is at the top of my back though underneath my shoulder blade. The pain also moves around to my ribs in the same position but at the front. I keep wondering whether to see the doctor but not sure whathe could do anyway.The only thing that relieves mine is to lie down - OK this week as I'm still off work ...but I'm dreading going back next week.
    Let me know if you find anything that helps! xx

3. I have a history of back problems (pre preg) so was quite used to it, the best thing that worked for me was a massage! it was the best 9 hours in my life (the massage wasn't 9 hours - no pain for 9 hours) otherwise hot baths (I know they say you shouldn't but I didn't have any problems - just didn't cover my tummy in the water. Tens machine (they say dont' use before 36 weeks however I spoke to a pharmacist and the only reason they tell you this is because no research has been done on pregnant women so its to cover their backs.
    I have an orthapoedic cushion for when I was sitting on sofas as I tended to slouch in them which can increase back pain.
    erm - I went to the docs and was prescribed stronger pain killers but they didn't work and just made sickness worse.
    Sleep well supported - pillows, one between knees, one against your back and one under your head.
    I can't think of anything else - if I do I will let you know.

4. I too suffer from bad backaches (pre-pregnancy too. Get your midwife to refer you to physio (do this asap as it takes a while to go through system/admin). I went to physio, I can't say it helped loads but they did do some things and gave good advice. I have to wear a very, very tight tubagrip around my hips (but I don't wear it as it hurts my bump) but I should wear it more often.
    I agree with the other replies... particularly not to sit in one position for too long. My pain is worse when sitting/slouching on the sofa in front of the telly as you tend to sit there for a while. My mum has just given my a v-shaped pillow for the night time but haven't tried it yet, but have been told it's really good.
    I haven't once taken painkillers as I don't think it will help.
    Just thinking about a severe backache that I had pre-pregnancy, I tried applying heat to it as I thought it would be helpful but it actually was more harm as it aggrivated it. Of course there are different back pains but I would suggest you seek advice from doctor or midwife first.
    Hope our advice has helped or that your back is feeling better. Take it easy, from a fellow back ache-sufferer!

5. Make sure you exercise your core muscles - otherwise your back problem will only get worse. I had a special belt from my physio to keep my pelvis stable. Was about £30 - worth every penny. It was to support the sacroiliac joints. I also exercised until about 33 weeks - glad I did as it made all the difference and kept further pain at bay. I have neglected exercising post birth though and now LO is 11 weeks am suffering with back again so regime has started again. Good luck.

6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Thanks for all the replies.
    I'm just coming up to 12 weeks pregnant.
    Some good ideas for me to try out there !
    I have a GP appointment on Thursday so I'll mention it then.
    xxx

7. UPDATE: I used the v-shaped pillow last night for the first time and fingers crossed I'm not jinxing things, but I actually SLEPT most of the night for the first time in months!!!! Wow, it was such an amazing feeling to have woken up and SLEPT!!! The best bit was I didn't have backache and I walked down the stairs normally for the first time in ages, instead of walking one step at a time like a toddler does.
    My backache did come later on though :-( but it wasn't until late afternoon and that was far better than having the backache the minute I wake up and lasting 24/7. So I highly recommend this v-shaped pillow as it worked for me (I'm not sure if it will be the same for others???) It was £9.99 from Dunelm and is called an orthopedic pillow.
    Oh I still slept using my little wedged pillow between my legs as well.