1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

suggestions for a novel please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pooped, Jan 6, 2012.

1. pooped

pooped New commenter

This term in literacy we are being given the option of teaching our objectives through a novel. I teach a yr 5 set ranging from 3c -4a. Could anybody suggest a novel that will be an immediate attention grabber and which provides lots of opportunities for different genre writing.
    Thank you in advance x

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Kensuke's Kingdom is good if year 6 haven't already nabbed it. There is also a lot of bits and bobs on the net (especially on TES) to help with ideas for teaching.

The first chapter or two were a little boring for my class last year, but once we got going they loved it. Round of applause from them on the day I finished reading the last page!

3. I would second KK. I can't read it to mine though, as it's a Y6 set text at my school.
    Mine love The Demon Headmaster, The Indian in the Cupboard, Thief, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Mr Gum (I also LOVE Mr Gum!)

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ooo now I'd forgotten that...I read it to a class on supply once. They loved it!

5. My Year 5/6 class last year and this current year loved David Walliam's books. We have just finished Gangsta Granny before the end of term and like a previous post put, it received a round of applause. Although I haven't taught it as part of a English unit, I'm sure it could be. I use my class novel as part of Guided Reading sessions. One of the weekly activities is linked to the text. It's been very easy to plan some good quality activities around it.
    I know some people might think his books are popular because of his celebrity status but personally, I think he is an amazing writer who seems to have a good understanding of today's children. A modern day Roald Dahl!

6. Heard lots of good stuff about David Walliams - including from the kids. Your post has persuaded me to go test him out!

7. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

Clockwork by Philip Pullman.

8. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

I used holes by louis Sachar, class absolutely loved it. Also used freak the mighty but can't remember the author sorry