1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for a Munich trip

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by pinski1971, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Hi all
    just organising a combi MFL/RE trip with a company. We're off to Dachau for the RE component, but I've never been to Munich - can anybody give me their MUST SEE recommendations for the duration. We'll have a coach with us...
    MfG

2. Hi all
    just organising a combi MFL/RE trip with a company. We're off to Dachau for the RE component, but I've never been to Munich - can anybody give me their MUST SEE recommendations for the duration. We'll have a coach with us...
    MfG

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Karlsplatz/Stachus, Marienplatz and new town hall, Frauenkirche, Viktualienmarkt, Deutsches Museum, Englischer Garten and Residenz, Hofbräuhaus - all in the city centre and within walking distance of one another.
    A little way out is the olympic park and tower and the BMW museum.
    Half day trip to Schloss Nymphenburg and gardens.

4. Dachau is the most rewarding & memorable and touching school trip I have ever done with my students from an inner-city London school. We went out there by bus. Prepare for a little bit emotional fallout as it is a harrowing place! I really felt it was an experience some of my students would carry with them for ever.

All of the other places mentioned so far are great. We went to one of the Bierkelle Hofbrauhaus late afternoon for a bit of Oompa musik and Apfelschorle - which was great fun. We just popped in the day before to ask if it was ok and they recommmended a good (quiet ) time to come. We also took the train to a small village called Starnberg. It was a really typical bavarian village with lots of little old german ladies 'taking the air' but the scenery and views of the Alpes were stunning, nice shops to wander around and a restored free house/museum thing which was interesting too.

In the evening we went to the Westbad pool (http://www.muenchen.de/freizeit/orte/119386.html) which had loads of slides etc and although it was a good bus/tram ride across town it made for a good evening out.

Its a great pedestrian freindly town and I am sure you will have a great time.

Gute Reise.