1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Suggested that I don't work hard enough and not employed enough

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by a1976, Nov 20, 2019.

1. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

Had a visit from my landlady today. My rent is going up but Mrs Landlady implied that I was not employed enough (as a supply teacher). This came after well-to-do son suggested my rent go up, and it is. And people wonder why I'm very hesitant about associating with people and getting to know them.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Not employed enough for pay exorbitant rent was was what meant, perhaps.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  3. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

I guess some people are essentially jealous of the flexibility of supply?

a1976 and agathamorse like this.
  4. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Reminded me of this.

[​IMG]

a1976 and agathamorse like this.
  5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@a1976: Perhaps Mrs Landlady and her darling son are worried that your income stream might be insufficient to afford their inflated rent demands. Nice people!

agathamorse, a1976 and catbefriender like this.
  6. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Does well-to-do son have another lodger in mind or some other development?

agathamorse and a1976 like this.
  7. steviepal

steviepal New commenter

She's probably right. I don't.

8. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

There are laws about when and how you can increase rent. See link below:

https://www.gov.uk/private-renting/rent-increases

You can now state that you are not in agreement with the increase in rent, and thereby the landlord can give you notice to move out. Again the tenancy will tell how much notice has to be given, I think it's usually 90 days - PLEASE CHECK!
    In that time, you look for another property to rent and move out.

The comment about being underemployed wasn't called for. She and her son probably read too many articles about there being a dire shortage of teachers, when the reality is, more teachers than schools know what to do with.:rolleyes:

agathamorse, a1976 and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  9. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

Some people have bad manners and your landlady is one, what is her problem. I would take the advice of Catfriender on board.

10. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

As always, @catbefriender 'tells it like it is'!

11. a1976

Well she did say that "people in my day worked their fingers to the bone". She then said that I can't stay in my bubble forever.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  12. a1976

Well she said that she didn't want to rock the boat and that she def. didn't want me to leave.

13. a1976

Well, all of this came after my university informed me that in addition to my Phd salary, i could be entitled to more money that would help pay for the rent if I qualified. They asked to see the lease/tenancy agreement. After I applied for UK citizenship (or something else) several years ago, I remember I couldn't find my lease and I'm leaning towards the home office (or whatever they call it now) did not give me back my paperwork. When I asked for a copy, she mentioned that I hadn't signed one since I moved in, back in 2011 and that it would be better for her and me (coverage wise) that we updated a new lease. When I told her about the extra funds, she just had to look it up as if it concerned her greatly. I actually remember that she went to her son, a well-to-do Kennel owner who used to be in IT and made loads of money, to check on whether universities pay people for PhDs.

Well, I agreed that it had been a long time and they had been very good landpeople, often brought over supper when I worked late, etc), so I okayed. I didn't know how much the rent was going to go up. I thought maybe at least fifty more pounds but not as much as it had. And, when I got the new lease, I wanted to scream but conducted myself very well and politely mentioned that the amount gone up was a bit much. She acidly reminded me that I had been there since 2011 and that I can't stay in my bubble forever. I then told her that I do go out, I do work. Then she said, "well sometimes you do."

I don't really have a choice. My credit is pretty much shot for a degree that went badly wrong four years ago. I owe lots of money and student loans. I guess after what all has occured while teaching and supply teaching and on top of childhood experiences , that I do have a mental illness and will never again be able to work with other people.

14. a1976

I don't know, really. I've heard people in the village say that she is kind of "odd" but I didn't really pay a lot of attention to them. I just wonder what all she tells people, about why I never have any friends over (she has commented on that), why am I so quiet, etc.

15. catbefriender

If the rent is too much, and your income is too low, you will be entitled to Housing Benefit. However, that will mean that the council, HMRC and the DWP will be aware that she is getting income which she probably hasn't declared for taxation. If she hasn't registered as self employed since 2011, she will be fined AND have to pay back taxes and taxes going forward.

Also with the mental health problem, call up the Education Support Network and ask them for advice and counselling. For ongoing counselling and emotional support, Google your borough and IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies) service e.g. Wandsworth IAPT etc.

agathamorse and a1976 like this.
  16. a1976

Many thanks catbefriender. You know, her comments just really threw me and they came a time when I thought everything was sorted.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. catbefriender

You have to have develop strategies to deal with the 'crazy makers' i.e. those dreadful people who literally make you crazy and believe me they are everywhere. Everything is calm and wonderful and they just sets things off and make you feel unbalanced. Great to get them out of your life or if they have to stay, learn how to deal with their continual crazy making. You need to have a system in place of what to do when things get a little too much to handle.

You should also consider having an exercise routine, which could consist of something simple like walking around the block. You live in a village, I bet you have LOADS of wonderful views and walks you could do. I live in London, so my views aren't so pretty and there is a lot of pollution,:( but I do the odd walk around the block but more often Youtube exercise videos. I have downloaded loads from 10 minute workouts to 2 hour workouts that I do daily. Don't knock your out trying to do 1.5 hours in the gym, 3-5 times a week, just do something that is manageable and fits in with your routine. You will be surprised how working out everyday takes the edge of things and helps you sleep better as well. Also cutting back on the wrong fats, too much sugar and the junk foods and eating more veg.

Jolly_Roger15 and agathamorse like this.
  18. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

How is she 150?

You should have made your own copies.
    I am not sure why you are telling this person about your funding from uni.

Teachers work with people. They are not adults but they are people.

19. a1976

I really appreciate this! I will be making inquiries today. You take care and have a great weekend.

catbefriender likes this.