1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Suggested improvements to the TES Buying/Selling system

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by PerigeeScienceResources, Nov 19, 2017.

1. bessicates100

bessicates100 New commenter

I would hate to be forced to leave a review. I buy resources because I'm trying to save time. To make someone leave a review for something they've paid for would, I believe, results in a lot of negative comments. Having to leave a star rating for something you've downloaded for free however would be good. My British Science Week lesson has been downloaded over 1000 time with one review. I do know that I rarely leave reviews though, but would do if it were easier.

2. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

3. suas2016

suas2016 New commenter

takes much time to upload documents.

4. Nataliebu

Nataliebu New commenter

I'd like to be able to give my paid resources to trusted reviewers for free specifically so they can review them, once they've been used in the classroom - I know I would like to read a more detailed accurate review before making a purchase when I've only been able to preview. (The preview function really needs sorting out - my resources appear mangled! This decreases confidence) Companies do this all the time on Amazon - the reviewer states clearly that they are receiving a benefit for the review, and the reviews are typically balanced and helpful. I imagine there may be plenty of people who would be willing to be 'reviewers' in return for access to free or discounted resources - an online training and vetting process to recruit in the first place ...and perhaps a limited number of author requests for review ... could be a potential solution to the lava of reviews conundrum...?

5. alexfeakes

alexfeakes New commenter

This is an interesting idea - essentially peer-reviewing a resource. Could TES have a bank of trusted / respected reviewers to do this (making allowance for conflicts of interest of course)?

6. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

I would like to see an option to pay with PayPal, an option to "add to basket" and the option for buyers to save their payment details.

7. thinky

thinky Occasional commenter

Personally I avoid any product on Amazon that has lots of 'I received this free' type reviews.

8. LikeAnExpert

LikeAnExpert New commenter

Would it be possible to add a 'flag for moderation' button for resources that are plagiarised/very poor quality etc? Tes authors and buyers have a vested interest in keeping the overall quality of resources on the site high, and if we were able to make Tes aware of these poor resources quickly (using a process like flagging an inappropriate post on social media) then they could be removed quickly and Tes would know about repeat offenders.

I've seen some really bizarre things posted on here that are not resources at all - e.g. personal blogs uploaded as a word document.

MosaiK likes this.
  9. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

10. iandoublem

iandoublem New commenter

Yes! This would also solve/prevent this silly situation where at the moment you need to accumulate £10 worth of sales before being to withdraw and then it taking a few more days for you to get paid. PayPal would speed things up and would also justify the ridiculous 30p transaction fee.

11. Nik_Bernaz

Nik_Bernaz New commenter

There is a lot to be said about the preview 'feature' of resources.

For some of the paid work that I uploaded, as much as 30% of the resource is offered as a preview (pages 1, middle and last)
    There is an easy way around this: Start and end your resource with white pages. But then it makes it really awkward for those who actually buy it, and I can't see myself doing that.

Thankfully, the preview 'feature' sometimes does not work at all and just produces a blank page. The strange thing is that I am not able to replicate this problem, otherwise it would have solved my first point above.

We should get the choice to manually toggle preview on/off or provide our own files, like it's done on teacherspayteachers.com.

I find the rest of the site really pleasant to use, quick and practical, it's only the preview 'feature' that is (to me at least) inconsistent with the rest of the process and which, for many of my resources, deteriorated the overall buyer experience.

12. Nik_Bernaz

Nik_Bernaz New commenter

[​IMG]

On Chrome / Android, the preview is the actual document, without the crosses

13. bricu

bricu New commenter

A question.

Can the infrastructure cope with big files?

Is it my computer is uploading big files painfully slow and sometimes results in the files not being uploaded at all?

How many hours do you have to wait for stuff to be uploaded? Is the system creaking due to the amount of (my words) fluff floating about on it?

On the other site that cannot be named I seem to have little trouble.

I'm not stirring the pot here; just getting frustrated about wasting my time.