1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sugar Tax

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34948410

"A tax on sugary drinks should be introduced as part of a "bold and urgent" set of measures to tackle child obesity in England, MPs say.

The Commons' Health Committee said there was now "compelling evidence" a tax would reduce consumption.

Its report, which puts pressure on ministers who have so far been resisting a tax, also proposes a crackdown on marketing and advertising.

Food industry representatives say a new tax would be unfair on consumers.
    But Food and Drink Federation director general Ian Wright said the committee's report was "disappointing".

"No-one seems to have considered hard-pressed consumers in all this. Consumers already pay billions in VAT on food and drink," he said.

"As a result of the arbitrary new tax recommended by the committee, which, if introduced, would inevitably be increased year-on-year and extended to other foods, would leave consumers paying significantly more, every week, for the products they love."

Would the Food and Drink Federation have the wind taken out of their sails if the tax raised on sugary foods and drinks be used to subsidise healthier foods, such that the household budget remained the same?

ScotSEN likes this.
  2. T34

T34 Lead commenter

Good idea, Duke!

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

...the public sector deficit.

midnight_angel likes this.
  4. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Usual bad science. There is no such thing as "sugar", there are "sugars". Do they mean sucrose, or glucose, or fructose, or lactose? Usual non-specific unscientific complete bo!!ocks, unless it is just the reporting, but still misleading in the extreme.

racroesus likes this.
  5. T34

T34 Lead commenter

Sucrose and glucose, one assumes.
    Food or drink where a girl in the factory tips a hundredweight sack of stuff labelled "sugar" into the mix at some point.

6. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Fructose or "high fructose syrup" is used in many things (including drinks) now, this is one of the reasons why I say they need to be specific about which sugarS.

midnight_angel and racroesus like this.
  7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

No doubt this will be resolved when the commons get to discuss a sugar tax. The question is whether the Food and Drink Federation will be right in suggesting the consumer will be hit harder in the pocket from this tax or whether the tax raised can be used to offset the cost of healthier foods.

I suspect the FDF are more concerned about the massive loss of profit a switch away from fizzy drinks will bring its members than they are about the purses of the consumers, or indeed their health.

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I would FAR rather consume sugar than Aspartame.
    That should be banned.

anotherauntsally and needabreak like this.
  9. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I remember hearing of how additional sugar has been increased to compensate for a reduction of fat in some products so more sugar in low fat "fruit" yogurt; it couldn't really be more misleading could it?

We all should really just boycott processed and prepared "convenience" food and that should solve the problem... but how to convince everyone... ah hit them in the pocket... a sugar tax! Great idea... should be followed by a tax on carbs since they only turn to sugar when not used or over consumed don't they?

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

As long as they keep their thieving hands off maltose and my beer.

11. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Pretty much all the maltose in your beer should have been fermented off to carbon dioxide and alcohol. But just in case, thats why I left it off my list ;-).

12. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

Just tax obese people and leave the rest of us alone.