1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Suddenly disturbed sleeping routine

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by chicabonita, May 18, 2011.

1. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Chiquita has been great since about 6 weeks- she's gone to bed at 6:30/7pm and we haven't heard from her until at least 10pm (some nights she'd go longer, even right through). Since 12 weeks she's been sleeping through until about 6am or even later.
    Now, at 14 weeks, she's started waking again at 10pm and in the last few days, also at 3ish and early at 5 or 5:30 in the mornings, although she does sleep until about 7 if I bring her in with us.
    Tonight she has woken and asked for food three times since being put down, which I can't remember her doing since... well, I can't remember her doing it. Any ideas what might be going on?

2. chicabonita

Chiquita has been great since about 6 weeks- she's gone to bed at 6:30/7pm and we haven't heard from her until at least 10pm (some nights she'd go longer, even right through). Since 12 weeks she's been sleeping through until about 6am or even later.
    Now, at 14 weeks, she's started waking again at 10pm and in the last few days, also at 3ish and early at 5 or 5:30 in the mornings, although she does sleep until about 7 if I bring her in with us.
    Tonight she has woken and asked for food three times since being put down, which I can't remember her doing since... well, I can't remember her doing it. Any ideas what might be going on?

3. http://moxie.blogs.com/askmoxie/2006/02/qa_what_are_sle.html
    And probably a bit of this too? http://www.thewonderweeks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&Itemid=155

4. Could it be a growth spurt?
    Does she eat the same amount during the day? Could she eat more do you think?
    Coming down with something?
    Teething? There might be some movement under the gums.
    Too hot? Too cold?
    Getting to the point of needing solids? (Although still a little way off the recommended 17 weeks)
    I'm sure you have asked yourself every single one of these questions and none have provided the answer. As with everything connected with babies, they are a complete mystery. I would place my money on growth spurt or needing to eat more in the day.
    I hope things resolve themselves soon. It is horrid when they break from routine (especially a great one such as sleeping through the night) and you don't know why and quite frankly, would just like them to tell you what the matter is rather than mess about waking you up[​IMG]!

5. Thanks for your advice but controlled crying's not for us [​IMG] Atm, she's only waking once/twice a night so I'm getting enough sleep. IMO when she's ready she'll sleep through and I don't want to force her to do it earlier.

6. chicabonita

I gave her half a Nelson's teetha powder last night and she woke once, at 1:30, then went through till 7. I'll try it again tonight to see if it was a coincidence, but it was lush to have so much sleep!