1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sudden change of job at interview!!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by vuittonprincess, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Applied for an advertised full-time permenant position.Got an interview. Went along and had the interview, then at the end the head said that the position had changed and that he was looking for someone to cover 1 term. I was shocked as this was totally not what I had applied for and I felt like I had wasted a full day for absolutely nothing. Neadless to say I told him I wasn't interested in that position and went home. Obv didn't get offered the job.
    Why do schools do this? ...Just want to know obviously for future interviews. Is this normal??!?!

2. Hi,
    Applied for an advertised full-time permenant position.Got an interview. Went along and had the interview, then at the end the head said that the position had changed and that he was looking for someone to cover 1 term. I was shocked as this was totally not what I had applied for and I felt like I had wasted a full day for absolutely nothing. Neadless to say I told him I wasn't interested in that position and went home. Obv didn't get offered the job.
    Why do schools do this? ...Just want to know obviously for future interviews. Is this normal??!?!

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

It does happen. Sometimes, there may be a genuine change of circumstances and the school no longer needs somebody, or they find someone they want, but have to wait a term for them. Sometimes, they don't like the applicants and offer a fixed term post to the better candidate so that there's a body in front of classes while they advertise for someone better. But, you know, I think some do it deliberately to get a wider field hoping someone will accept a fixed term post. It happened to me once and, like you, I declined.

4. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

In the current climate, it's shameful behaviour. Sorry you had to waste your time! Schools prey on the fact that NQTs in particular are desperate for a job. They offer them limited contract so that they can just ger rid of you if you aren't perfect, as opposed to investing the time and effort into training you properly and helping you become a good teacher: "There are more where you came from, let's just keep trying until we get a good one that we don't have to work hard with".

5. Unacceptable in my opinion. Surely they would have been aware at some point before the interview that they had changed their views on what they need and a phone call could have been made to the applicants on the shortlist.

6. Yes exactly - it's not like they suddenly find out 10 minutes before the end of the day that their circumstances have suddently changed. They will at least have known the day before and so there is NO excuse for a school to mislead candidates in this way. Those that do ought to be thoroughly ashamed of themselves as they waste everybody's time and put people in a difficult situation.

7. Hey,
    Yeah I would have just really appreciated a phone call the day before, or even the morning to explain the changes, that way I would have saved myself a 100 mile trip and the petrol etc! It was such a waste of a day and I had to take a day off from my placement which isn't helpful. I secured a lovely job on Monday at a perfect school, so all turned out well in the end :) I posted this because I didn't really know what the protocol was for this type of situation and wanted to know for future experience! I hope no body else has to go through that!
    Vuitton xx