1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Such words of wisdom for all teachers.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by TEA2111, Nov 17, 2015.

1. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

Yesterday I had a writing lesson observation. My feedback wasn't great and so, feeling like a failure of a teacher, I shared my feelings and disappointment with my family and close friends. This is the response I got from my eldest son, which I think, could apply to anyone of you hard working, dedicated teachers out there.

"I’d like to see the observers follow up with students in 5, 10, 15 years times and incorporate that into their reports before categorically stating that a teacher is or is not meeting some teaching standard. There are many, many aspects to a good education that simply cannot be quantified. The teachers I remember most clearly, and subsequently the ones who are still having the greatest effect on my life as an adult, were not necessarily the teachers of the subjects I achieved my highest marks in or improved the most in. In fact, those are details that have actually played very little in my life. What I do remember, and the lessons I have carried with me into my adult life, came from the teachers who, very simply, cared. Upon reflection after reading this post and thread, I can honestly say that that is the one constant in the teachers who I consider to have achieved the requirement of educating me – they genuinely cared.

One of many such examples came from my Control Systems Professor at uni. 10 minutes before the end of one of our lectures, he told us to close our books and said that if we were to take anything away from his class that day, it should be this. He then spoke to us for a few minutes about financial security. That’s not even related to Electronic Control Systems. But it’s something he was clearly passionate about, and he cared enough about our futures to forget, in those few minutes, about our grades and equations, and to impart a seed of wisdom that has been germinating in my mind ever since. I hardly remember anything from his class but those few minutes.

If there is one thing that nobody in this world can deny mom, it’s that you genuinely care about your job, about teaching and about your students.

They may not realise it right now, but I guarantee that your students will feel those effects later on in their lives. Did the lesson observation take that into account? "

2. NarnianRoyalty

NarnianRoyalty Occasional commenter

Thanks for posting this. It has put the awfulness of this week's staff meeting into perspective. I may not have perfect paperwork, but I genuinely care about the people in my school. Thanks again for a much-needed boost of positivity.

TEA2111 likes this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thank you @TEA2111 for passing on your son's words.

Best wishes

TEA2111 likes this.
  4. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

NarnianRoyalty...made me feel a whole lot better too. I would love to give it to SMT for them to read; I might just pluck up the courage and do so.....

NarnianRoyalty likes this.
  5. NarnianRoyalty

NarnianRoyalty Occasional commenter

My Head would be cheeky enough to agree with it! Talk about being blind in one eye :)

TEA2111 likes this.