1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Such a range of levels in maths -please help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by takethatno1fan, Mar 14, 2012.

1. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

I have a y2 class and have only started after xmas so still getting used to them. I have some children working at Plevels, right through to a handful of children who are working at level 3. I have a very inexperienced TA who unfortunately struggles to support a group effectively and Struggles with behaviour. This leaves me to do all the teaching, so if i am doing the teaching input for my SEN group, the others aren't being challenged obviously and if I am doing the teaching input for the majority (extended for the L3s) the SEN group have no ide what is going on!

Can anyone please offer me some advice about how to cater for all the levels effectively? Many thanks

2. takethatno1fan

I have a y2 class and have only started after xmas so still getting used to them. I have some children working at Plevels, right through to a handful of children who are working at level 3. I have a very inexperienced TA who unfortunately struggles to support a group effectively and Struggles with behaviour. This leaves me to do all the teaching, so if i am doing the teaching input for my SEN group, the others aren't being challenged obviously and if I am doing the teaching input for the majority (extended for the L3s) the SEN group have no ide what is going on!

Can anyone please offer me some advice about how to cater for all the levels effectively? Many thanks

3. Proper sympathy for how stressful this is! I'm an NQT with a Y3 class (P7-3a) and no TA. I'm REALLY worried about how I'm catering for them, especially in Maths. I think it's my high-achievers who do the worst out of it.
    If I were you, I'd invest some time in the TA. I know it means scope for guided groups is limited in the short-term, but it's limited ANYWAY unless you get her sorted. Show her exactly what you want and make her feel confident and empowered. If she's inexperienced and struggling, you're not going to get her back up by helping her?

4. takethatno1fan

Thanks for your reply lilybett and I know you are right, but she starts at 9 and says she can't get in any earlier, and leaves straight away at 12 to catch her bus. So I have very little time to spend with her. I plan the group activities for her obviously but just through lack of experience she doesn't know how to extend their learning or manage behaviour.

I would be really grateful for any advice of how best to manage the different levels.

5. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Can you bring this up with your line manager? It sounds like there would be value in finding some appropriate training for her, or providing it in-house. If she's only paid 9-12, they'd have to pay her extra hours, or take her out of the classroom for a morning or two, but it might be worth it.