1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Such a range of ability

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by Clive1988, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Hi,
    This will not be new to alot of teachers, but currently I have a huge range of abilities in my Y1 class. It ranges from F5 to 2c (in reading especially) My cleverest child is very clever and recently she has shown signs of being bored. I would just like some advice as to how I can accommodate for ALL children without losing the LA and challenging the HA so they stay interested.

2. Hi,
    This will not be new to alot of teachers, but currently I have a huge range of abilities in my Y1 class. It ranges from F5 to 2c (in reading especially) My cleverest child is very clever and recently she has shown signs of being bored. I would just like some advice as to how I can accommodate for ALL children without losing the LA and challenging the HA so they stay interested.

3. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

Not a primary teacher, and think your very brave teaching that age range! However, guess the mixed ability thing we can all identify with. I have GCSE classes, where some students are capable of answering A-Level questions in sufficient detail, and others can not read the key words in the question, miss it out and write nothing!
    It all stems down to that dreaded word 'diffrentiation', that I believe is essential to do well when teaching mixed ability classes, but at the same time not easy!
    Diffrentiated tasks - perhaps a small group of those who struggle could sit on one table reading a lower level book, taking it in turns to read a part to the TA. Middle ability pupils could read a pre-prepared sheet with easier words, and a high ability group could be reading a teacher-made resource that challenges them with the amount and/or level of the literature. Then a comprehension activity follows that's also diffrentiated. 'Draw a title page for the book', 'Describe in your own words, what the story was about', 'Explain why some people might enjoy this story'...
    You could also pair them into reading partners, one who struggles with one who can read well. I heard of a primary teacher who did this with year 6 and year 2. The year 6 pupils 'mentored' the year 2.
    Hope i've been useful...