1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Such a mess - to take this further or not?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by HelpNeededPlease, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I usually post under another name but didnt want to be recognised by anyone for my own protection!

I have a complete dilemma and really need some advice from more experienced people out there.

I am returning to work after 29 weeks maternity leave - and the school have restructred and taken away my TLR (although my pay is being protected). I know the law (as have extensively researched this!) so know that as I am returning from Additional Maternity leave I have the right to return to a similar job of no lesser pay or conditions than I left on.
    I have met with my head teacher to discuss this - but he says there is not a position for me to return to as my old position and another position were merged and given to another colleague.
    So - I have the unions support and advice, and I know the law is on my side here - but my dillema is should I pursue this or am I making it really difficult for myself by potentially going to tribunal over this?
    Any advice or comments would be gratefully received!

2. Hi all,
    I usually post under another name but didnt want to be recognised by anyone for my own protection!

I have a complete dilemma and really need some advice from more experienced people out there.

I am returning to work after 29 weeks maternity leave - and the school have restructred and taken away my TLR (although my pay is being protected). I know the law (as have extensively researched this!) so know that as I am returning from Additional Maternity leave I have the right to return to a similar job of no lesser pay or conditions than I left on.
    I have met with my head teacher to discuss this - but he says there is not a position for me to return to as my old position and another position were merged and given to another colleague.
    So - I have the unions support and advice, and I know the law is on my side here - but my dillema is should I pursue this or am I making it really difficult for myself by potentially going to tribunal over this?
    Any advice or comments would be gratefully received!

3. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

Am I right in thinking you are on the same pay as before you left but have less teaching and learning responsibilites?
    If that's the case, I would leave it as it can be hard work juggling work and a young baby.
    Also there are a lot of teachers out there without a job so if you have one, stick with it.
    Maybe things will change again at the school in the future and you'll be able to gain more TLR.

4. There's nothing you can do about if they've undergone a restructure. They do have to allow you to return on the same pay - but they are letting you do this. You now have a set time of protected pay in which to look for a new job should you wish.

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The only point to contest would be if, when the restructuring was enacted you were not notified or given the chance to apply for the resulting 'merged post' while on leave.

6. Are you saying that you don't have a job at all, to return to? In which case, you are being made redundant? Not sure I have read the post correctly.
    Agree with others though, you should definitely have been given the chance to apply for the 'merged roles' job despite the fact you were on mat leave. They will have breached equal opportunities surely?
    Stuliet
    X

7. Tolchard

Tolchard New commenter

Correct me if I've got this wrong but are you saying you're returning to work with fewer
    responsibilities but on the same pay? If so, you've got a bargain - what on earth are
    you complaining about?

8. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Whilst it does sound good it does have an impact if they were considering furthering their career as they have lost a TLR.

9. literarybimbo

literarybimbo New commenter

I think that teachers have a habit of 'letting it go' and being almost too good natured about things where other professionals wouldn't. I let an issue go at work go, I had the unions backing and now I regret it. Very different circumstances but looking back (from a stronger emotional 'place' if you like!) I would have acted differently.

Good luck,

LB