1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Such a lovely way to spend a Saturday afternoon

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by charlene_bell, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Just wanted to tell you all you guys what I am up to on this lovely spring day. Windows are all flung open, music is cranked up and I am baking up a storm in the kitchen. Got pinwheel biscuits chilling in the fridge ready to be sliced up and baked, Orange and Ginger cookies in the oven and just about to crack on with some Blueberry muffins. Yummy! Looking forward to enjoying the fruits of my labour.
    What else can I bake? I am having so much fun!

2. White and milk chocolate cookies, lemon curd sponge cake, classic victoria sponge, banana + white chocolate muffins - yum! I'm going to be making black beer gingerbread tomorrow and possibly that chocolate orange cake Simon Rimmer made last week on 'Something for the Weekend'. Have fun!

3. OK Joyous...you don't seem to have been posting here for long...so let me explain one of the rules...
    You can't post phrases like 'Black beer gingerbread' without also posting a recipe!!!! (or at least a link!)....I want some gingerbread....I want some NOW!
    (Is it gloriously sticky?!....would it go really well with custard?....Do you live anywhere near the East Coast so I can come and steal some?!)

4. OK Joyous - cough it up now or you will get blackballed!
    Witholding a recipe is the only reason we get nasty here on Cookery!
    So post the recipe or get sent to Coventry!

I'm waiting.......

5. oops - am now aware of the rules [​IMG]
    The recipe is lovely and sticky and would be nice as a pudding with custard as well as being lovely with a cup of tea! It's a cookbook recipe that's been slightly adapted. Ok here goes...
    <u>Black beer gingerbread</u>
    150g unsalted butter
    300g golden syrup
    200g dark muscovado sugar
    250ml stout
    2 tsp ground ginger
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    300g plain flour
    2 tsp bicarb
    300ml sour cream
    2 large eggs
    You need a 23cm square baking tin, however I am lazy and buy those throwaway foil trays[​IMG]
    1. Preheat oven to Gas 3/170. Line tin with foil if using a normal baking tin.
    2. Put butter, syrup, sugar, stout and spices into a saucepan and melt together gently.
    3. Take off the heat and whisk in flour and bicarb. It normally looks lumpy at this point but keep whisking and it will be fine!
    4. Whisk sour cream and eggs together and then add to gingerbread mixture. This will form a thinnish batter.
    5. Pour into tin and bake for 45 mins, when ready it will be well risen in the middle.

Hope you enjoy!

6. Thankyou!
    I'm just preparing a shopping list....always good to have a reason to put stout on the list!....I think I've got everything else apart from the sour cream.

I'm definitely going to try this one!

7. [​IMG]
    Thank you, that looks delicious!
    I think I'll add that to my Wednesday batch cooking slot!
    It might even be my staffroom offering for this week!

8. That looks delicious and not tooooooooooooooo fattening. Oh who am I kidding? Way too fattening but I might just make this for a pudding tomorrow - friends coming to lunch. that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.