1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Successful use of iPads in classrooms?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by lovelylady, Aug 2, 2011.

1. lovelylady

lovelylady New commenter

Ive looked at lots of apps etc and I think they will really help me next year. We already have an ipad for personal use at home, but I would be really interested in whether I can use them on my smartboard with the vga adaptor and with a known jailbreak. Is anyone aware of this, or is anyone using it with success in their teaching?

Many thanks

2. lovelylady

lovelylady New commenter

Ive looked at lots of apps etc and I think they will really help me next year. We already have an ipad for personal use at home, but I would be really interested in whether I can use them on my smartboard with the vga adaptor and with a known jailbreak. Is anyone aware of this, or is anyone using it with success in their teaching?

Many thanks

3. iPad and Smartboard use in Education
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2770983?start=0&tstart=0

4. Very useful.
    If you manage to link your iPad you could get a device that might be as much as a 100th as useful as a netbook.
    Nice one [​IMG]

5. Hmmm, a derogatory comment already. We must be within 5 posts of invoking Godwin's Law.

6. lovelylady

lovelylady New commenter

Not looking to replace my laptop/PC that is attached to the whiteboard, but more enhance some of our teaching?

Crikey, no need to be so negative!

7. I'm absolutely convinced that Hitler used an IPad

8. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I am intrigued to learn what apps you think will be useful as I am an iPhone user and can't see any that would help me teach. Sure there's a few for organisation and things like vnc but for teaching I see nothing

9. Too much money wasted on stupid bright ideas by people with no clue.
    iPads especially are inherently limited to three software sources ; what's on there already ; what's in the iTunes store, and javascript/HTML apps, which probably won't be much use because the browser is slow and the processor slowed to save power.
    There's probably a case for some software that would normally run on flash being useful on it ; but because Apple want to lock out everything except iTunes, there's no point. You'd have been better off buying Chipads running Android, which are much cheaper, but less trendy, obviously.

10. This would explain the existence of the Horst Wessel Song on iTunes.

11. Magic, thanks.

12. Who knows, if he'd had Flash, he might have won...

13. I am using the splashtop app which allows you to take control of the class board with your Ipad. It merely acts as a control device but I have used it on Powerpoint to annotate away from the front of the class and pass on the Ipad to students who can do the same without having to come to the front of the class.

14. The abilty to do that is well worth spending min. £399 on.
    Particularly when that amzing feat can be achieved any number of other ways.

15. We have i pads in school all the year 6 pupils have an i pad each. We use them to do research and present work in different ways - presentations, word documents, animation, voice recording etc. We also use different apps to practise spelling and multiplication skills.
    You can use an adaptor to connect the i pad to a whiteboard, however not all programs are compatable so we use a visuliser to project on the whiteboard. Overall we love them in school.

16. Where do you people get your money from? Giving year 6 an iPad each would cost over twice our 2011-12 budget.

17. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

This intrigues me what apps are you using to do these things?

18. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

I have a cheap BlueTooth Graphics tablet for that - works well. However getting students to come to front of class is always more productive in my experience (barring physical constraints of course).

19. Pages, keynote, ever note, sound note, toontastic - most of them were put on the i pads by the IT team in our local authority.

20. We are part of a trial, money not from our budget.