1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

successful routes into primary teaching

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Poppymorris, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    I am considering a career change to primary school teaching and am looking for some advice.
    I have a BA and a couple of years experience working within museum education (ages 3 to teenagers, including SEN and some outreach work within schools though mainly museum based).
    For the past 2 1/2 years or so I have been working as a Pastry Chef, but am now really keen to return to my earlier career in education.
    I understand that my preferred route into this, the GTP, is highly competitive to get onto and obviously I am currently working full time, and would find it difficult to gain large amounts of school based experience at the moment.
    Would the best idea therefore be to try and find a teaching assistant role first? What levels of qualifications/experience would be necessary for this?
    Thanks in advance for your help and advice! [​IMG]

2. Hi Poppy
    You may struggle to obtain a TA role without any TA qualifications.
    I am currently studying a Level 2 TA course one evening a week since January and do 2 days a week volunteering in a Primary School. The course requires you to do 15 hours minimum a week in a school. A lot of the course assessment is on the job or reflective accounts about experiences in school eg. How have you helped in ICT in the classroom ?. Without first hand experience you would not have the tools to complete the course.
    Also most TA job vacancies are saying at least Level 3 qual is an essential requirement.
    I recently had a PGCE interview but wasn't successful because of my lack of school experience at the time but last week had a GTP interview and although don't know if this has been succesful was able to talk a lot about my 6 months of recent ongoing experience.
    So I would recommend thinking about courses starting in Sept but also see if you can reduce your days/hours at work to leave 2 days a week for school volunteering.
    Thanks
    Nick

3. Entry requirements vary hugely from one provider to another (dictated mainly by supply and demand I think). So I would try and get in touch with your local providers and discuss it with them. If possible, try and speak to people ON the courses as well - this not only gives you an idea of what to expect, but can give you a truer feel for what the "real" requirements are (although, as with all things, just because something happens one year it doesn't mean it's going to be the same next year).
    As a general rule, though, the more experience and the more recent it is the better - although I know of quite a few people who got onto GTPs straight out of uni (aged 21 or 22) having done just 2 or 3 weeks' volunteering work in a school in which they mainly observed and "helped out" in an informal manner in some classes.

4. sez142

sez142 New commenter

It's not true about needing qualifications for a TA job. I came straight out of uni with a psychology degree and got a TA job with virtually no experience or TA qualifications. Use your experience in the museum to help with it. I've done TA for a year now in process of applying for GTP.