1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Successful Round 10 Threshold But No Pay Rise?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by teachyteach, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Advice needed please!
    I was on M6 for the 2009/2010 Academic Year.
    I applied for Threshold Round 10 in September 2010 (to my knowledge the deadline was Oct 2010).
    I was notified by my Head in December by that it had been approved.
    Then I was told early in January by the Head that my pay rise would commence in April.
    This seems a bit random!
    Is it because of the budget that they've said April 2011.
    I was under the impression that I would be placed on U1 from September 2010 (and perhaps be entitled to backdated pay for the difference in pay between M6 and U1)
    Thoughts?

2. Advice needed please!
    I was on M6 for the 2009/2010 Academic Year.
    I applied for Threshold Round 10 in September 2010 (to my knowledge the deadline was Oct 2010).
    I was notified by my Head in December by that it had been approved.
    Then I was told early in January by the Head that my pay rise would commence in April.
    This seems a bit random!
    Is it because of the budget that they've said April 2011.
    I was under the impression that I would be placed on U1 from September 2010 (and perhaps be entitled to backdated pay for the difference in pay between M6 and U1)
    Thoughts?

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

It seems that your Head may be trying to play tricks here - but I could be wrong.
    If your application was in before 31st October, then it should have been reviewed as part of the annual review of salaries, and you would be entitled to move to UPS1 from 1 September 2010, and hence should have received backdated pay shortly after your move was approved.
    If you had not applied in time, then the decision would not take effect until September 2011, but your Head doesn't seem to be suggesting that this is the case. It may well be a budgetary issue in as much as he is hoping to hold out till April and then take your back-pay out of next year's budget. Not ideal on either side, but at least that way you'll get it eventually.
    If he suggests that you won't get it at all, then I'd be asking further questions.

4. Yes my application was in before 31st October, and he definitely implied that the pay rise will start in April, with no back pay. This is why I've asked as it doesn't seem right for him to "choose" when UPS should commence.

5. coppull

coppull New commenter

Speak to your Union at their Regional Centre to seek advice on this matter.

6. Thanks - I may have to do so as I checked the Threshold guidelines and it clearly states that the move to UPS1 should be in effect from Sept 2010.
    Also, would this mean that in Sept 2011 I will move up to UPS2? Is the progression on the Upper Pay Scale automatic like it was on the main pay scale?
    Thanks.

7. UPS progression is automatic - but every TWO years, not yearly.

8. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Not quite automatic.
    Progression on the UPS is no the basis of succesful performance managemenb cycle, a considerably higher threshold that required for progression on the main scale.